Sunday, June 21, 2020

Writers Must Write Truth and Kindness


by Tammy Karasek @TickledPinkTam

What a year 2020 has been so far. With the mandate of staying home for the majority of people, I’ve heard from many writers about what this time of inactivity has done for them or even how it has changed them. They’ve shared about personal reflection on their lives, to setting new priorities and even a change of goals. Several writer friends have admitted to a shake up from what they’ve been doing to something even better.

I’ve also had some soul searching, priority rearranging and downright on my knees seeking direction from God on my future writing journey these past several months. Maybe you have done so as well.

Sadly though, many moments have been spent at my keyboard typing a response to a person’s hurtful or derogatory comments only to then delete the entire comment I’ve typed. I’ve clicked on like on a post on a social media site only to quickly unlike it. Who am I to correct someone’s mean comment or agree with another’s controversial stand? I’ve felt shame. 

You might ask why this is bothering me so much. And I’ve pondered how I wanted to write this post in a way that first and foremost encourages you as a writer. Then secondly challenges myself to be better at sharing the love of Christ through my words. 

I have been hurt deep in my soul watching Christian writers spew sharp words out into the cyber world these last few weeks. And I’ve thought, how terrible of them. 

Then the light bulb moment came for me. 

I may not have written my comments or agreed with the post publically, but am I free of guilt?

I wish I could tell you a confident no. But in total transparency, I am guilty, too. As a writer, it hit me hard that with the spot the Lord has me in to share words, that those words—or thoughts—may not be so pleasing to the Lord. 

I went to the best book ever written for some instruction and encouragement and I’m sharing what the Lord brought to my attention. May you be uplifted by these words from God. 

“but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers these things ought not to be so.” (James 3:8-10 ESV)

In the likeness of God. Ouch, my thoughts and words were like slinging them at God. As writers and speakers, we have the greatest opportunity to speak love and kindness through the words the Lord gives to us. Let us not bless and curse from our platform—let’s stay in the bless the people frame of mind. 

“Let the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14 ESV)

Oh, Lord, please let these come to my mind before I write or speak. Please make me so focused on you, that my words and mediation of my heart align with your message of hope to all people. ALL people. 

“To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.” (Titus 3:2 ESV)

Yes! This. And again God tells us ALL people. 

For sure 2020 has been one of the most difficult and confusing years I’ve ever lived through. Maybe you feel the same way. It doesn’t look like we’re done yet. Through all of this, I have been reminded over and over again about what a huge responsibility I (we) have as writers. We hold great power in our words. Many of us have huge platforms and people will watch to see how we react. Those of us who have small or very small platforms think we are safe from observers, but we are most certainly not. 

My advice to myself and maybe a reminder to you is that we grab hold of this opportunity as writers to use our words to show Christ’s love to ALL people. While we might not be able to give physical hugs just yet, we most certainly can give someone a hug through our written words. A kind and uplifting comment. An atta-boy or atta-girl for someone who achieved a goal. Let Christ so shine through your words that people want more of Him. 

I have some work on myself to do, but I still have time at home to ponder my next action to fix what’s broken in me. In the meantime …

I pray your words warm the hearts of all who read them. May God bless your work. 

TWEETABLE

You’ll find Tammy seeing humor and causing laughter in every aspect of life. Her past, filled with bullying and criticism from family, is the driving force of her passion to always encourage others and give them The Reason to smile. She’s been married to her college sweetheart, Larry, for 37 years, a mom to their grown daughter, Kristen, and wrapped around the paw of a little dog named Hattie. Born and raised in Ohio, her family now resides in South Carolina. She is the President of Word Weavers Upstate SC, member of ACFW and My Book Therapy/Novel Academy. She’s the Blog Editor for Word Weavers International. A Conference Assistant for Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference. A monthly contributor for The Write Conversation. A contributor in the 2018 Divine Moments Compilation Book—Cool-inary Moments. Also a regular contributor to several other blogs. 

Connect with Tammy: Blog: http://www.tammykarasek.com  Email: tickledpinktammy@gmail.com

14 comments:

  1. Tammy, how i appreciate your transparency. I stay away from commenting on political posts, but in my heart, I sling those words like you said. How I wish the Lord would simply wipe all those thoughts out of my brain! And so, we are still a work in progress. Praise God He's still working on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,

    Thank you for being vulnerable and honest in this article. Words have power to change lives and we must use them wisely. This year has been strange in many ways. I appreciate your reminders that we have to speak with truth and kindness.

    Terry
    author of 10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this truth, Tammy. Such a timely post and an awesome reminder to show grace and kindness to all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so tempting to respond to comments on social media, sometimes with harsh words. I have written responses as well, then deleted them. Thank you for reminding us of these scriptures. If my words aren't acceptable in the Lord's sight, I ought not to say (write) them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's important to think about what we're saying or writing.

      Delete
  5. I'm guilty, too. But your words this morning will help me stand back, hold my tongue, and think before I speak or put something in an email that will hurt someone. I pray to God that he will help me think positively about everyone - especially writers and editors who have helped me so much. Thank you Tammy for sharing this post this morning. I truly gained so much from your words. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane, I truly appreciate your kind words. I'm glad it was helpful for you.

      Delete
  6. Amen and thank you Ms. Tammy. I too have felt both conflicted and convicted about my thoughts and, sadly, comments about the trials this world is facing today. I keep trying to remind myself that although I'm "in this world", I am not longer "of this world." Still, my sinful human nature seems to want to pull me back in. Thank you for sharing, in love, both empathy and encouragement for those of us struggling with our imperfections. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Mr. JD, we might be in the world, but we are not of the world. And may you be blessed with your writing as well.

      Delete
  7. Amen. Writers must show His love in all words and actions. Great message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! And yes, I think it's part of our responsibility as writers to show His love.

      Delete
  8. And thanks for God's grace, right Ane? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete