Sunday, May 31, 2020

Using Seeds of Failure to Grow Fruit


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control… Galatians 5:22-23

I travel around the country speaking and teaching at writers conferences. Beyond being about to help other follow their dreams, I also get to hear about other authors’ journeys to publication. 

As we compared routes, I noticed many similarities to my own. Most are like mine—not a direct route—but a circuitous trip full of bumps and detours. Frequently a writer's path can be littered with broken dreams and shattered expectations.

In the past I would have called them failures.

As I've heard more and more stories, I've reflected on those instances in my life that I've always labeled as failures and shortcomings. Now, in the light of the successes those detours had brought, I see them more clearly. They're really been valuable opportunities to grow and learn.
  • Those times of waiting had become patience.
  • The weeks—and sometimes months of—frustration had become discipline.
  • The heart-breaking rejections became joy.
All those difficult circumstances had been used by God to teach me things I lacked, as well as giving me compassion for others on similar journeys.

Somewhere along the way, God used the seeds of failure to grow fruit in my life.

Today I challenge you to look at those things you’ve labeled failure, and notice the fruit that’s now begun to grow.

TWEETABLE
Using Seeds of Failure to Grow Fruit - @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram

9 comments:

  1. Edie,

    Thank you for the truth which resonates in this post from my own experiences in this writing journey. It's not easy as I think back to some of those failures and rejections (which continue to happen even now). Each of these experiences can become fruit in my life.

    Terry
    author of 10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Edie. In my own journey, I've found when I faced a failure, or another "no", God gave me a yes in some other form, a confirmation to encourage me and grow the seeds of faith in me. I always tell new writers, "Don't let the goal be all you see. Enjoy the journey. See what God has for you while you're on it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting failure into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouraging words - and so much I can identify with. I lived with the four "P's" in the writing of my story - Patience, Persistence, People's help, and Prayers. God answered my prayers in so many ways. I learn so much from the postings in The Write Conversation. Thanks to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edie - Another great post. When I joined our writers guild, I found myself soon feeling like a failure because people twice my age or having less education were finding success on their writing journey. I could see sentence construction, spelling, and punctuation errors in their work - so why was I not progressing, too? My aha moment came when I realized that my English skills and creativity weren't what was lacking and discouraging me but, rather, my inadequate knowledge of CRAFTING a poem or story. I needed to attend writing conferneces and workshops, buy and read books on the craft of writing, and network more with authors. The time to invest dollars in my journey had come. Your point about frustration becoming discipline is spot-on.
    Jay Wright; Anderson, SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. We think we are the only ones, don’t we? Then we come out on the other side and find all these compatriots; and realize all the hard moments meant something too.
    My son Zeke is embarking on a writing career and I tell him to read this blog and the Serious Writer for help and support, but does he? I don’t know & can’t make him. But I am confident that our Heavenly Father will train him step by step - just like us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am learning to grow from each failure. I am remembering God always has a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edie, It's become clear this year that I need to fail more. I'm making concrete plans in that direction.

    ReplyDelete