Saturday, March 14, 2020

How Writers Grow Through Rereading


by Beth K. Vogt @BethVogt

Sometimes I read a blog post and think, “This is good. I’m going to want to read this again.”

I save the post in my Evernote files, intending to reread the wise words sometime in the future.

Sometimes I do. Then there are times I don’t because I’m too busy writing and editing and just doing life. As the poet Robert Frost said, ““In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on.” 

Earlier this week I came across a post by Edie Melson – yes, our Edie Melson – written just as 2019 was turning to 2020. It’s titled “Intentional Consistency: A Writer’s Best Plan for the New Year.”

Thinking back on what was happening when the blog posted on December 30, I’m sure I skimmed the headline and thought, “I need to read this, but I don’t have time.” Back then, one of my daughters was in the hospital. She’s fine now, but we were about to embark on a month of craziness. 

Here it is the middle of March and I’ve just read Edie’s “let’s start the new year right” blog. And yes, it’s brilliant. (Aren’t all of Edie’s posts brilliant?)

Edie’s exhortation that our writing doesn’t belong “worked-in-between-the-insanity” of our lives challenged me.

Helloooo, Beth, are you paying attention?

It’s so easy to let anything and everything else rule our days. To say, “Life’s been so crazy lately,” and then explain all the reasons why we haven’t written.

Edie also listed eight ways she is intentionally consistent. Not perfect – consistent

Let me define consistency so we’re all on the same page: marked by harmony, regularity, or steady continuity.

I like the eight-step game plan—hey, I’m one of Edie’s biggest fans—but her decision to respect her calling seemed to be underlined, written in bold letters, and highlighted. Here’s what Edie had to say:

“Through prayer and study, I’ve determined that God expects me to be obedient. I know, not a huge revelation, but just wait. That obedience isn’t supposed to only be in regard to the hard or the difficult things in my life. Obedience is foundational to everything. You see, I love writing and because it’s fun, I had developed the idea that it wasn’t important.”

I hear you loud and clear, Edie. Just because I like to write doesn’t mean it’s not important. And the truth is, I can’t ignore it on the hard days either. 

Interested in intentional consistency? Check out Edie’s blog post. Have you read it already? I encourage you to read it again.

TWEETABLE

Award-winning author Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” Having authored nine contemporary romance novels and novellas, Beth's first women's fiction novel with Tyndale House Publishers, Things I Never Told You, released May 2018. Moments We Forget, book two in the Thatcher Sisters Series, releases May 2019. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Novel Rocket and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. Visit Beth at bethvogt.com.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for a reminder I really needed today. I love the way God confirms His gentle nudges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were encouraged by this blog post today, Elisabeth.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Susan: It's fun to encourage one another past our excuses, isn't it?

      Delete