Tuesday, January 21, 2020

A New Year Full of New Words


by Lucinda Secrest McDowell @LucindaSMcDowel

Happy New Year! In just a few weeks, my own new book will be released to the world.

Did you think I would be calm with this process by now?  The truth – I am in awe. That a fine publisher offered me a contract. That amazing people actually buy the books I write. But mostly, friend, I am in awe that the God of the universe would deign to offer me a part in helping to further His kingdom here on earth.

Through words.

And so, I humbly turn to Jesus – the “Word made flesh” who joined us here on earth so that we would always know that He knows – and I pray Thank You.

For this privilege. But also for the hard work accomplished. Because writing is work. It is digging deep for the pearls, sharing vulnerably, sometimes saying hard things, throwing away countless crumpled pages, finding courage to start over, allowing others to critique and cut your story, second-guessing your abilities, and praying over every single word and phrase.

I am convinced God calls each of us to share our unique story in just the manner He equipped us to do it. For me that is in writing and speaking and teaching. I say this with humility, but I also say it with conviction. Because you need to know who you are and who you aren’t in order to fulfill God’s purposes for your life!

My new book – Soul Strong -- will not look like the current bestselling book that you just loved and ordered copies for all your friends. Because I’m not her. I don’t write what she writes or in the same way she writes it. Nor should I. The world already has her. As I began this latest project, I prayed fervently that God would give me insight and my own unique voice to speak into lives.

For writers, writing is an act of obedience to God’s call.

“You are called to a work, and you respond with your particular gifts, vision and energy. You’re rarely sure of what it is you’re about to do, but you have an idea, along with the desire to carry it out. You say yes and then hope that you still will live up to the yes. You feel honored but maybe a bit scared too.” (Vinita Hampton Wright in The Soul Tells a Story)

Today I anticipate my new book in this New Year with great faith and great gratitude. With hope and yes, some humble hesitancy. As I offer seven keys for a vibrant life, I vulnerably reveal a lot of personal life lessons. And that can bring up feelings of insecurity…

What New Thing are you looking forward to this New Year? Is there something important you are hesitant to begin because you feel afraid or unworthy?

I don’t know what God’s call on your life looks like. I don’t know where 2020 will take any of us. But I’m convinced He walks beside each step of the way.

Let’s move forward into the new – writing our best words and leaving the results with the Word Made Flesh. 

Happy New Year of Writing from www.LucindaSecrestMcDowell.com

“May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal encouragement and good hope by grace, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good Work and Word.” 2 Thessalonians 2.16-17

TWEETABLE

Lucinda Secrest McDowell, M.T.S., is a storyteller and seasoned mentor who engages both heart and mind while “Helping you Choose a Life of Serenity & Strength.” A graduate of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Furman University, McDowell is the author of 15 books and contributing author to 30+ books. Her award-winning books include LIFE-GIVING CHOICESSOUL STRONG (2020), DWELLING PLACES (2017 Christian Retailing BEST Award for Devotional)ORDINARY GRACES  (2018 Selah Finalist), LIVE THESE WORDS, and Refresh! Lucinda, a member of the REDBUD WRITERS GUILD, received Mt. Hermon “Writer of the Year” award and guest blogs for The Write Conversation, Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference Blog and (in)courage. Whether co-directing  “RENEW ~ RETREAT FOR NEW ENGLAND WRITING,”  pouring into young mamas, or leading a restorative day of prayer, she is energized by investing in people of all ages. Lucinda’s favorites include tea parties, good books, laughing friends, ancient prayers, country music, cozy quilts, musical theatre, and especially her family scattered around the world doing amazing things.  Known for her ability to convey deep truth in practical and winsome ways, she writes from “Sunnyside” cottage in New England and blogs weekly at https://lucindasecrestmcdowell.com/ Follow Lucinda on Twitter: @LUCINDASMCDOWEL


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ms. "LSM". Well done author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Need to know who you are and who you aren’t in order to fulfill
    Gods purposes....” So very, very true Lucinda.
    Looking forward to the mini retreat on 2/8 with my daughter & her girlfriends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so humbling, and unnerving, when you realize, with startling clarity, that the God of the universe has a job he wants you to do. It'd be nice to know why because I am a very goal-oriented person and often flip to the end of books to see how they turn out. But the journey is so miraculous that I have to understand I don't need to know the why to do the job.

    ReplyDelete