Thursday, November 21, 2019

Connect with Readers through Closed Facebook Groups

by Susan U. Neal RN, MBA, MHS @SusanNealYoga

Would you like to develop relationships with your readers? You can through closed Facebook groups. Many writers have created Facebook author pages, but in a closed group, only group members can see the posts. The focus of these groups is about how the author can benefit the reader who chooses to join the group. Think of it as a Bible study in your home. You are the host who offers valuable content. During the study a relationship develops between members as you get to know one another. Facebook groups can be mutually beneficial for the reader and the author.

Reader Benefit
Always provide members with relevant information—entertain or assist. For example, in my closed Facebook group, How to Sell 1000 Books in Three Months, I post active leads for bloggers, podcasters, and radio show hosts seeking interviewees. I also post pertinent marketing articles and blogs. I’m available to answer questions, but more than that, I push the follower to expand their boundaries. I ask if they’ve created their six-month marketing plan yet and offer to read it and provide feedback. I want to serve my customers. This group is part of my course, How to Sell 1000 Books in Three Months, offered by Serious Writer Academy. 

I created a second closed Facebook group for a different segment of my readership. In the 7 Steps to Get Off Sugar and Carbohydrates group, people ask all sorts of questions regarding health, nutrition, and how to change their eating habits. I thoroughly enjoy engaging with my audience and providing them with the support they need to make difficult lifestyle changes. The camaraderie in the group is commendable. If I am not available to immediately answer a member’s post, other members respond and offer support. When someone shares a difficult time, we encourage and pray for each other. The connections are heartfelt. Anyone is welcome to join this group. 

If you allow anyone to join your group whether they purchased your book or course, the participant may choose to buy your product later, if they find value from the group. Edie Melson coordinates a client-focused group, Soulful Ink. Anyone is welcome to join. She cultivates creativity, encouragement, and soul nourishment in this community.

Author Benefit
Groups benefit the author as well. I’ve expanded my number of followers on my personal Facebook profile by friending individuals who join my group. You could require the follower to provide their email address before they enter the group by using a landing page connected to your email subscriber list.

One of the most important benefits is that you gain loyal followers who trust you because you are answering their questions and providing them with beneficial information. Recently for my newest book, Solving the Gluten Puzzle, I asked my 7 Steps group if anyone would like to join my book’s launch team. I had dozens sign up.

When you have a new book or product, you can easily let your followers know about it. Recently I wrote a post about how changing habits take sixty-three days not twenty-one. I explained that you want to change your subconscious mind which is your belief system. To do this a member of the group was listening to the Audible version of my book, 7 Steps to Get Off Sugar and Carbohydrates. Listening helped change her mindset which made it easier for her to stay away from unhealthy foods. That month I sold 225 Audible books!

Summary
How do readers find your Facebook group? You place a link to the group on your website, Amazon author page, and at the beginning or end of your book. Add information about the group to the bio section of your articles and blogs. Connect the group to your author Facebook page, and invite followers from this page.

A closed Facebook group provides your reader with direct access to you. Groups can be powerful as the reader gets to know you and how you can benefit them. Closed Facebook groups are beneficial for all involved.

TWEETABLE
Susan’s mission is to improve the health of the body of Christ. She has her RN and MBA degrees, as well as a master’s in health science. She is a CERTIFIED HEALTH AND WELLNESS COACH with the American Association of Christian Counselors. She published five books, the Selah award winner 7 STEPS TO GET OFF SUGAR AND CARBOHYDRATES, CHRISTIAN STUDY GUIDE FOR 7 STEPS TO GET OFF SUGAR AND CARBOHYDRATESHEALTHY LIVING JOURNALSCRIPTURE YOGA a #1 Amazon best-selling yoga book, and YOGA FOR BEGINNERS which ranked #3. She published two sets of Christian Yoga Card Decks and two Christian Yoga DVDs that are available at CHRISTINAYOGA.COM. Her digital product HOW TO PREVENT, IMPROVE, AND REVERSE ALZHEIMER’S AND DEMENTIA is a great resource. To learn more about Susan visit her website SUSANUNEAL.COM You can also connect with Susan on FACEBOOKTWITTER, and INSTAGRAM.

3 comments:

  1. I participate in several closed Facebook groups for writers, readers and reviewers. Great contacts and always something to learn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts. Thank you for sharing Ms. Susan. Will look into this.

    ReplyDelete