Tuesday, September 17, 2019

The Blessing that Changed My Writing Career


by Lucinda Secrest McDowell @LucindaSMcDowel

Billy Graham once said that when we get to heaven, we are going to discover a whole barn full of blessings and answered prayers we never dared seek.
But I don’t want to miss out on any good thing God has for me—so I keep asking and praying. Who can I bless today?

Twenty years ago I found myself struggling over whether or not to keep writing. “No one will miss this book if I never write it . . . ” I muttered under my breath.

When my first book Amazed by Grace came out, I excitedly shared with an old seminary friend that I had a book published, “It’s everything I know!”

She replied. “It’s awfully thin.”

So needless to say, when a contract offer came for another book, I hes­itated. Did I have anything else worth saying? Did anyone even read my books? Writing is both excruciating and exhilarating, and I asked God to give me a sign as to whether or not I should continue. 

That very afternoon I chose to bless a stranger and found my own barn of blessings in return.

I was taking a break during a staff retreat when I wandered into the garden of the Mercy Center, encountering an old woman digging in the dirt. Wanting to encourage and affirm her, I commented, “Your flowers are beautiful. By the way, I’m Cindy.”

The Sister introduced herself with an Irish lilt and explained she had been there for a one-year sabbatical and would be returning to Ireland the next week.

Already impressed with the liveliness of this elderly nun, I asked what she did while on sabbatical at the convent. “Well, for one thing we read a book a week and report on it to our spiritual director.”

“So does that mean you just read fifty-two books?” I exclaimed, wishing someone would tell me I had to read a book a week. With my job, a hus­band, and four children, reading was still my passion though time for it was rare. But my favorite Catholic author was Henri Nouwen, so I kept talking, seeking to build a bridge.

“Sister, of all those fifty-two books, which one did you like the best?” I inquired.

“Why, that’s easy,” she replied with a slight twinkle in her eye. “Amazed by Grace!”

Immediately my jaw dropped as I looked completely dumbfounded, which caused her to conclude that perhaps I didn’t like it.

“N–no, that’s not it . . .” I trailed off, not trusting my voice.

She went on, “Actually, I read it twice, and it changed my life. The author is McDowell.”

Finally able to speak, I blurted out, “Sister, I wrote that book!”

Then it was her turn to look dumbfounded with dropped jaw. This Cindy-in-the-garden-in-blue-jeans didn’t look like her mental image of Lucinda-Secrest-McDowell-the-author. We laughed, hugged, and had a pre­cious time of fellowship in the garden. A frumpy, Protestant, middle-aged mama of four and an octogenarian Irish Catholic nun both reveling in how God’s grace changed our lives.

I would have totally missed that blessing if I hadn’t reached out to greet and engage her. This Sister was God’s sign to me that indeed He did intend to use my words for His kingdom. 

I signed that new book contract, and twelve more since then.

How can you be a blessing today? It takes an intentional choice to engage.

Our true souls are seen when we reach out in love—the biblical word for this is blessing. 

“Blessing is not just a word. Blessing is the projection of good into the life of another. We must think it, and feel it, and will it. We communi­cate it with our bodies. Blessing is kind of like an ancient dance of the Hokey-Pokey; before you finish you have to “put your whole self in.” Blessing is done by the soul.” —John Ortberg, Soul Keeping

Who will you choose to bless today?

*Excerpted from “Life-Giving Choices – 60 Days to What Matters Most”Lucinda Secrest McDowell, New Hope Publishers, 2019

TWEETABLES
The Blessing that Changed My Writing Career - @LucindaSMcDowel on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Never hesitate to ask God for a blessing on your #writing - @LucindaSMcDowel on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Lucinda Secrest McDowell, M.T.S., is a storyteller and seasoned mentor who engages both heart and mind while “Helping you Choose a Life of Serenity & Strength.” A graduate of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Furman University, McDowell is the author of 13 books and contributing author to 30+ books. Her books include the award-winning Dwelling Places (2017 Christian Retailing BEST Award for Devotional)Ordinary Graces  (2018 Selah Finalist), Live These Words, and Refresh! Lucinda, a member of the Redbud Writers Guild, received Mt. Hermon “Writer of the Year” award and guest blogs for The Write Conversation, Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference Blog and (in)courage. Whether co-directing  “reNEW ~ retreat for New England Writing,”  pouring into young mamas, or leading a restorative day of prayer, she is energized by investing in people of all ages. Lucinda’s favorites include tea parties, good books, laughing friends, ancient prayers, country music, cozy quilts, musical theatre, and especially her family scattered around the world doing amazing things.  Known for her ability to convey deep truth in practical and winsome ways, she writes from “Sunnyside” cottage in New England and blogs weekly at http://www.EncouragingWords.net/ 
Follow Lucinda on Twitter: @LucindaSMcDowel

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE this, Cindy! Such an awesome story and God sure gave you a nudge to keep writing. Love when He does that!! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and satisfying story! I’m inspired to go out and be a blessing to someone today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candyce, great, that's what this story was supposed to inspire in others.... be a Blessing!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful memory Ms. Lucinda. Thank you so much for sharing. While I've never pictured you as a "Ms. Cindy", I'm delighted to see that side of you ma'am. If it's alright with you, I'll just refer to you as my wonderful writing friend "LSM", a wonderful writer, actress, and encouraging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story! At this stage in my life, I love THIN books too, especially those that are powerful for God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, there's nothing wrong with thin books -- of course, one can only share what we have learned thus far! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  5. At 71+ years, I have been wondering if it's too late to write a book. But, i am sensing God's nudge. Your story has pushed me forward knowing I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. So, here I go. Thank you for your encouraging testimony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, my dear friend Cynthia who is your age just had her first book come out from a major publisher and my bff will have her first one released when she is 67! So, never give up, God's got this.

      Delete
  6. Oh Cindy this brought tears to my eyes. Both God awing and wishful for a sign like that in my writing doubts. But knowing your heart I’m glad you received that sign through a nun or maybe an angel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, praying God will send a special sign to you. Thanks for being an encouragement.

      Delete
  7. That is so awesome! What a wonderful affirmation. And marvelous encouragement. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenneth, God is always so good. And so creative in getting our attention...

      Delete
  8. I definitely needed this reminder today. I've been rather discouraged lately. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your discouragement and I hope this true story will encourage YOU and perhaps spur you on to offer a blessing. Praying...

      Delete
  9. Great story of affirmation about your writing! Love when God does this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I also love it when God shows up so unexpectedly and just when we need it most.

      Delete
  10. Cindy: This affirmation was definitely a shot in the arm for you. Praise the LORD. Peace and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still gives me a boost as well, and I receive your peace and blessing and send it back to you...

      Delete