Sunday, May 19, 2019

I Am a Writer


by Tammy Karasek @TickledPinkTam

As writers of words, I have heard far too many of us dodge the question of  “What do you do?” I know I have. I offer up some pittance of stammering not willing to answer that question with the phrase “I am a writer.” Sometimes I’m afraid of the questions I’ve heard before that will follow … “Oh, what do you write? What’s the title of your book? Where can I find it?” 

Ugh. 

I don’t want to say the truth to them. I know they mean well, but I know that I will feel self-inflicted embarrassment once I’ve said out loud … “I write on my blog, I guest post, I’m writing and rewriting my memoir and a fiction serious. I’m not published yet.” 

I’ve received the puppy dog eyes, the slight downturn of their lips and the dropping of the chin as they’ve softly said, “Oh, I thought you were a writer.”

Non-writing people have no idea the hours we writers put into getting the words down on paper, then edit and edit to get them to their best prose. To anyone who doesn’t write for a living they think it’s no big deal. Sit down and write. Done. 

I love Earnest Hemingway’s quote that I think every one of us who do write have committed to memory: “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

I believe I just heard a collective sigh and the nodding of heads!

But I want to encourage you today. As I share the exercise below with you, please know that I’m really practicing what I preach here. I do this exercise often. I need to. I’ll be honest and say that I’m not always a good listener of my own lesson, but I’m getting better at it as I say it more often. 

I want us to do this together and I want us to do it right by repeating the phrase I’ll share in a minute out loud. Nope, don’t care if there is anyone else in the room with you—that’s even better. They need to hear it, too. Remember, I’m saying it out loud with you. Ready?

You are a writer!

I heard you say it and I want to say thank you! As I said it out loud over here to you, you said it out loud to me as well. And that was easy, right? It’s so much easier lifting up someone else in encouragement. Let’s make it more personal in this next part, take a good deep breath and out loud say …

I am a writer.

What? Can’t hear you, once again only louder …

I AM A WRITER!

Great job. Honestly, this has been a tough one for me after the odd questions and comments I’ve received over the last couple of years. But, it’s okay. I keep telling myself, it’s part of the training, girl. Chin up. You can do this. 

As I sit down to my computer or my notebook to write, I’m trying a new thing. Maybe this will help you as it’s helping me. I turn on my computer or open the notebook and say, “I am a writer and now is my writing time.” Sometimes I have to repeat it a couple of times because the old devil wants to start an argument right then and there, but I don’t want that and I’ll just say it louder. It may seem silly, but if it works, it’s worth it!

Answer this question, friends … what do you do?

Ahhh, I heard you say it and I believe you! You are a writer. Imagine that—I am a writer, too. 

TWEETABLE
I Am a Writer - insight from Tammy Karasek, @TickledPinkTam on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

You’ll find Tammy seeing humor and causing laughter in every aspect of life. Her past, filled with bullying and criticism from family, is the driving force of her passion to always encourage others and give them The Reason to smile. She’s been married to her college sweetheart, Larry, for 37 years, a mom to their grown daughter, Kristen, and wrapped around the paw of a little dog named Hattie. Born and raised in Ohio, her family now resides in South Carolina. She is the President of Word Weavers Upstate SC, member of ACFW and My Book Therapy/Novel Academy. She’s the Blog Editor for Word Weavers International. A Conference Assistant for Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference. A monthly contributor for The Write Conversation. A contributor in the 2018 Divine Moments Compilation Book—Cool-inary Moments. Also a regular contributor to several other blogs. 

Connect with Tammy: Blog:http://www.tammykarasek.com  Email: tickledpinktammy@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy,

    I had a well meaning friend ask, “when are you going to start writing again?” That was just a week ago, and the words still sting. “But, I am writing!” I protested. “I have two blogs a week, and I’m working on my masters degree.” Yet, she went on, “No, really writing.” It was as if she was dismissing the four hours a week devoted to writing my blog plus my field trips to make them happen weren’t writing. Not to mention the six hours a night toiling over grad school work wasn’t work. All I could tell myself was if it was so easy, everyone would be doing it.

    Thank you so much for the reminder that I am a writer, and working on my craft a bit more than most. Well for anyone else that needs some validation, I’m sure I have a grocery store receipt nearby, so I’ll write it on the back, “you’re a writer!”


    Blessings,
    Laurie Epps

    ReplyDelete
  2. heartfelt words and thanks. Leann and I both write daily devotionals for online and for special groups as well head up the discipleship class at our church. It's an amazing thing to write, but even more to write for Jesus, to glorify His name. thanks for your post. Author Terry Palmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become more comfortable saying the words, "I am a writer." As soon as I say the words, people start asking "What do you write? I see you wrote a children's book. Tell me more." I have enjoyed some wonderful conversations and made great contacts just with those words, "I am a writer." :-) I love being able to share that I am an author of a children's story, but I also write Christian fiction, non-fiction, devotions, articles and my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete