Friday, May 3, 2019

How to Add Text to Images—A Screencast with Step-by-Step Instructions


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

We are becoming more and more visual as a society. Because of that, images are far and away, the most shared things on social media. 

Share an update on Facebook without an accompanying image and we run the risk of having it overlooked or just ignored. 

The images with embedded text are called MEMES (rhymes with seems). When they’re done well, they are an amazing way to convey a message and connect with your audience. 

And they’re much easier to do than you may imagine.
There are several tools I use regularly. They are my favorites, but they’re not the only ones out there. I’ll show you how to use the ones I prefer, but I’ll also include links to the other ones.


Assemble What You Need
To make a meme, you’ll three things:
Find Your Image
Many of my memes are made with pictures I take myself. But you can use other images. The two places I recommend for exception images is www.Pixabay.com and www.Unsplash.com. All the images are Creative Commons License 0 (CC0). Here’s a blog post that shares The Basics of Images &Creative Commons Licenses.

Decide What to Say
Frequently I use quotes, but you can also use Scripture or even lists. The things you want to avoid are excerpts from songs and poetry because of possible copyright infringement. 

Put it All Together
My favorite site for assembling my memes is www.picmonkey.com. This site has a lot of power, but the learning curve is tiny. In other words, it’s great for people like me who are not knowledgeable about working with images.

Watch Me Do It Step-by-step
Here is how I made the featured image at the top of this post. 


Additional Resources:
Some people prefer www.Canva.com to work with images. And for finding pictures, www.unsplash.com is another good option. 

I hope this screencast has been helpful. I'd love to know what you've found to make working with images easier. Share your tips and questions in the comments section below.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES
How to Add Text to Images—a Screencast from @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Step-by-step Instructions for Adding Text to Images - @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

8 comments:

  1. Wow Edie - you’re the best! Thanks for sharing these tips, sites and technique through video! Talk about reving up the creativity for the weekend...so much for painting the bathroom ceiling... lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I was able to help! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this info. Is there a way to imbed your website so when someone clicks on the meme, it goes to your website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, it isn't possible to embed a link in a jpeg file. You can do it in a PDF, but that's the only way. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Thanks! I'm saving this post under "important tips/helps."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I'm glad I was able to help, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. You are wonderful for providing this info. Hope you have a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very, very helpful. Thank you Edie.

    ReplyDelete