Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Pinterest Basics for Writers

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

In the past year, Pinterest has come into its own as a valuable social media platform. Where once it was known as the place to go for ideas for things, it's now a powerhouse in the social media realm. 

But like any social media platform, it has its own culture and best practices. 

If you've ignored this valuable network, it's time to dust off your account and see how it has improved. These tips will help you get everything in shape.

Pinterest Basics for Writers
  • Make sure you switch your account to a business account. You won’t lose anything in the transition, but you will gain a great deal in analytics and functionality.
  • Optimize your name (description is key, but make it interesting). If you have a ministry and/or a business, but you also are an author, make sure your account is set up under your name. (Mine is Edie Melson).
  • Spend time composing your Pinterest bio. It should be interesting and contain keywords that will be picked up in a generic search. For instance, my bio mentions that I’m a “creative” “photographer” and “author”. All popular searches on Pinterest. 
  • As you build your Pinterest world, remember that you are sharing a visual story. This is an image driven network and your popularity will hinge on how well you present the visual aspect of your content.
  • Approach your Pinterest account like you are publishing a magazine. Every board is a “feature” in your magazine. Consider your colors you use and the visual story you want to tell.
  • Take time to organize your boards. Consider the order they are in on your homepage. In addition:
    • Name each board. Give it a name that someone might type into the search box to find the content of your board.
    • Make sure you have designated an image as a cover for every board. 
    • Fill in the description and type of board. 
  • Use the search box strategically to find trending topics and share appropriate pins.
    • Click on the Search Box, but don't type anything into the box
    • You'll notice 2 main headings appear in a drop-down menu, Recent Searches and Trending Ideas
    • Look at the Trending Ideas for popular things to pin to your boards
  • Use templates in Canva or PicMonkey or to make your own pins. Remember thought that the largest majority of things you pin should be from others. I use a 10 to 1 rule of thumb. 10 pins from others to 1 pin from me. But it’s NOT considered poor form to share multiple pins in a row. For example, if I’m working on a new board for my blog posts, it would be fine for me to pin a lot of my own stuff to populate the board. Use this as a rule of thumb, not an inflexible rule.
  • Think outside the box when coming up with ideas for boards. Begin with your own branding focus, then branch out. I have a board for the color teal, a board with pictures of abandoned places, and a board for cute animals. This is the place to let your audience get to know you by seeing the interesting things you pin.
Spend time weekly pinning things you love. The more you’re on Pinterest, the more your visibility will grow.

Now it's your turn, what questions do you have about Pinterest? And what boards have you created or what boards have you seen that are fun? Share your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES





6 comments:

  1. I have changed my Pinterest board according to your great tips. Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on Pinterest since its inception, and have, literally, hundreds of boards. Is it possible to open a second account to use as a business account?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike Facebook, Pinterest is fine with users opening multiple accounts.

      Delete
  3. I have had a Pinterest account for many years, however, I haven't done a lot with it. I have maybe 15-20 boards listing things I like. Example: clothing, home decor, foods, coffee, beach houses, lighthouses, etc...Like I said...just fun stuff. I would love to advertise my writing (upcoming books, new short stories, essays, thoughts, etc...) I already have a blog, but I'm not certain how to incorporate my writing skills/love/passion into a Pinterest media. Can I name a new account the same name as my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can name your new account anything you like, BUT make sure it's something someone will search for. Truthfully, I'd capitalize on all the fun stuff you already have and add a board for your publishing life. Your readers/audience will love to get to know you beyond your writing. It's always better to concentrate your audience and multiply them than to divide them. Blessings, E

      Delete