Sunday, March 10, 2019

Growing Fruit from Writing Failure


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control… Galatians 5:22-23

For me, this verse is tough. Some of the things listed are easy. Some…well…not so much. 

In my travels the past few years, I’ve had the opportunity to hear about other the journey to publication from a lot of different authors. I noticed most of us have a similar story. Very few had a direct route. Instead we traveled a circuitous trip full of bumps and detours.


Frequently a writer's path is littered with broken dreams and shattered expectations.


As I listened to all these stories, one thing stood out. That sometimes-tortuous path, made us better writers. And beyond that, it made what was published, publishable. 

That insight made me stop and reflect on those instances in my life that I'd always labeled as failures and shortcomings. Now I saw them as opportunities to grow and learn. Those times of waiting had become patience, the frustration had become discipline, and the rejections became joy. All those difficult circumstances had been used by God to teach me things I lacked, as well as giving me compassion for others on similar journeys.


Somewhere along the way, God used the seeds of failure to grow fruit in my life.

How have your failures turned into fruit? I’d love to hear your insights.

TWEETABLE
Growing Fruit from Writing Failure - @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

11 comments:

  1. Edie - thanks for the spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down! Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still in my growing season here Ms. Edie. Thank you and your colleagues for making the journey a bit easier. God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I don't think any of us ever leave the growing season!

      Delete
  3. How true but how often we let the negative thoughts take over instead. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all guilty of that and must guard against it!

      Delete
  4. Thank you. You don't know how much I needed to hear that today. God's blessings to you and your team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. Each writing experience teaches us valuable lessons. Whether we have rejections or are published, we can learn. I am thankful for other writers who share their wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm thankful, too, for those like you - and the rest of the TWC gang - who share encouragement!

      Delete
  6. Hi Edie,

    You nailed it! Thanks for the reminder, I needed a little encouragement today. It does remind me of my Advanced Composition class in my undergrad. Almost daily, my essays were put up on the prompters as examples. I cried, and doubted my talent. But in hindsight, it made me a better writer. In retrospect, I can say that 12 of those 14 essays were actually published. It hurt, but I grew so much!

    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete