Friday, November 23, 2018

A Writer’s Unlikely Thanksgiving List


By Lori Hatcher @LoriHatcher2

Lord, James 1:17 reminds me, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights . . .”, so it’s fitting to thank you during this season set aside for thanksgiving.

Some gifts are easy to recognize, because it’s obvious they come from you. “Good and perfect” make them pretty easy to spot.

Thank you for the inspiration that can only come from you. Where do you get these ideas? Oh yeah, from that amazing mind of yours. Thank you for sharing them with me and allowing me to be the fingers on the keyboard.

Thank you for the 5-star reviews, positive comments, and thank you emails from readers. They are sweet affirmation that what I do is making a difference in people’s lives. 

Thank you for the backspace key, Cut, Paste, and Autosave. As someone who remembers Eraseable Bond paper, White Out, and longhand, these truly are precious gifts.

Thank you for the community of Christian writers who selflessly share their time, knowledge, and influence. What a joy to be a member of the body working together to push back the darkness and shine Christ’s light into our world.

Thank you for the opportunities that come my way to speak in your name. Whether they arrive through obvious channels like a book, blog post, or article, or less obvious ones, like a chance conversation or surprise invitation, these divine opportunities wouldn’t have come if you hadn’t called me to write. 

And then there are those gifts that, on the surface, don’t look good or perfect. Yet I know they are, for they too, come from you. First Thessalonians 5:17 reminds me, “In everything giver thanks,” so here goes.

Thank you for the times I’ve sat at my computer yearning to type one beautiful sentence and failing. These times press me into your presence and your Word. They cause me to examine my life to see if sin is hindering you from speaking to me. They drive me to prayer and help me realize that it’s the Giver, not the gift, I truly need.

Thank you for the times you hijack my thoughts and send them down paths I never intend for them to go. Your thoughts are higher than mine, and even if the new direction requires a major rewrite, I’m grateful for your guidance. I’m amazed at what you push through my fingers.

Thank you for, gosh how I hate to say this, every rejection email you’ve allowed into my life. Especially the ones from editors who say something nice about my writing before they mention the size of my platform. Each one refines me in a different way. They make me more determined to expand my reach, polish my writing, and grow in perseverance and character. And, one day, they’ll give me a great story with which to encourage others: “I received 45 (or 145) rejections before my book (article, screenplay) was published. Don’t give up!”

Lord, you are good. You lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire, set my feet on a rock, and gave me a firm place to stand. You put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. And then you called me to write so others could catch a glimpse of you. 

Thank you.

Now it’s your turn. Which good and perfect gifts are you thankful for (obvious and the not-so-obvious) as you walk this writing journey? Leave a comment below and join the conversation.

TWEETABLES



6 comments:

  1. Abba, I thank you for wonderful friends like Ms. Lori who show me I am not alone in my fears and worries that I will never be good enough to serve you. If someone as accomplished as she is can feel these things, then who am I to worry. I thank you for the path you've placed me on where life's circumstances become the impetus for my writing. Thank you Father for being the potter and for helping me to remain malleable clay for your use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. May God glorify himself in and through our writing, Mr. Jim. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Lori. A beautiful reminder of the faithfulness of our Lord and the peace that comes when we see what looks like failures but are really His path to our success. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, Emme. One of the greatest lessons I'm (still) learning is to trust God's timing. He WILL fulfill his plan for us. Thanks for chiming in.

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love this message! I am very thankful for other writers who encourage me and inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! There is always so much to be thankful for. When we get down to the nitty gritty details we can think of so much to talk to God about and appreciate the way He works in unique ways. Thanks for sharing these Lori. It is inspiring, especially in a world full of so much bad news.

    ReplyDelete