Sunday, July 15, 2018

Baggage or Luggage—Which Am I Carrying?


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

I don’t know about you, but I have trouble forgiving myself. For some reason I expect a level of perfection from myself that I would never expect from someone else.

Because of this, I also struggle to accept God’s forgiveness.

Somewhere deep inside is the fear that God has finally reached the limit of His patience with me and with my constant sin and shortcomings. Just writing this makes me shake my head because it’s so far from the truth. But I’m sad to say it’s something I struggle with.

The result of this lack of forgiveness is that I carry a lot of baggage that I don’t need to. I’m weighed down with past sins that God has long since forgiven. I also carry the baggage of unconfessed sin because I’m fearful of returning to God over and over again asking forgiveness for the same thing.

At times, I add the baggage of my own refusal to forgive someone else. I hold on to the way they’ve hurt me and try to make it into some kind of armor against getting hurt again. But that’s not what it is. Unforgiveness is just more weight to carry.

That kind of weight can weigh a person down. 

Baggage is something I need to get rid of. I need to drop it at the feet of Jesus and leave it there.

Luggage, on the other hand, is something that equips us for our travels. My luggage consists of the things that God has blessed me with. It also includes the lessons I’ve learned through the struggles and the triumphs of walking with God.
  • It’s the Bible verses I’ve memorized.
  • The praise songs that run through my mind.
  • The stories I’ve heard about God’s faithfulness. 
Everyone needs some luggage to be equipped for the journey has God in store for us. The trick is to get rid of the baggage.

So today I ask you what I asked myself. Are you carrying baggage or luggage on your personal journey? 

TWEETABLES
Baggage or Luggage—Which Am I Carrying? @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

6 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness (as they say) Ms. Edie. You're human!? (insert smile here) In a way, today's post made me feel better. If someone I look up to as a writer and person has some of the same faults, challenges, and concerns I have, then maybe (just maybe) I'm not alone after all. I think we all carry some of both in our lives. This is why it is so important we remember we don't have to travel through this short life alone. We have a wonderful Helper who is just a thought or prayer away. God's blessings ma'am; and thank you for showing your human side. Of course, it happened just when I was starting to give you superhero status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most inspiring piece of writing I have read in years: straight from the heart...and hip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful...baggage vs. luggage. I love that. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I love traveling and know the importance of well-packed luggage. I also lug around a load of baggage every day. Your post reminded me to shrug it off! Isn’t Jesus’ burden (luggage) light and easy? Oh may I learn from Him. I’ve learned from you too today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of makes me teary eyed. I'm the same way. I wonder at God's grace. How can a loving perfect God continually put up with me? I don't know, but this was a good encouragement. Thank you, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. As soon as we turned from baggage to luggage, I smiled! What an encouraging word today!

    ReplyDelete