Thursday, March 1, 2018

Brainstorming Isn't Cheating, It's an Author's Secret Weapon

Edie here. I'm super excited about Lynn's newest series. I had the opportunity to be in on the very beginning of this book and I promise you it is AWESOME! Be sure and follow the links at the end of the post to grab a copy for yourself. 


Brainstorming Isn't Cheating, It's an Author's Secret Weapon!
by Lynn Blackburn @LynnHBlackburn

When I first started writing, I would hear people talk about brainstorming and I have to tell you . . . it bothered me.

A lot.

I was intrigued by the idea of getting together with a group of friends and throwing ideas around, but I was afraid it might be cheating. How could it still be *my* story if I’d gotten a lot of help from other people?

I can’t tell you how relieved I was to discover that . . .

1. Brainstorming is not cheating.

2. Brainstorming is awesome.

There is something special that happens when a group of writers gather around a table or pile onto couches in a living room, laptops at the ready. The author starts with, “Okay, here’s what I’ve got . . .” and ends with “and I have no idea what happens next.”

After a few questions and clarifications, the ideas start flowing. Someone says, “Oh, oh, oh, what if . . . ” and then someone else says, “Or you could . . . ” and sometimes what comes out of those sessions are stories that are 100% the author’s, but that could never have come to life without the input of trusted friends.

In my case, I can still picture a handful of friends sitting around a table as I laid out the very rough skeleton of an idea for a new series about a law enforcement dive team. I’d been thinking about this series for almost two years and it was finally time to move past nebulous generalities and nail down specifics.

I had rough concepts for three different stories. I had named three couples, but they needed to become real. They needed strengths and weaknesses and quirks. I tossed out some of my ideas and my friends ran with them. By the time we were done, I had a few paragraphs for each story—a solid foundation. But more importantly, my characters were more diverse, more nuanced, more intriguing, than they had been when we started.

The first book in that series, Beneath the Surface, releases March 6th. This back cover copy isn’t far off from what we came up with that afternoon:

After a harrowing experience with an obsessed patient, oncology nurse practitioner Leigh Weston needed a change. She thought she’d left her troubles behind when she moved home to Carrington, North Carolina and took a job in the emergency department of the local hospital. But when someone tampers with her brakes, she fears the past has chased her into the present. She reaches out to her high school friend turned homicide investigator, Ryan Parker, for help.

Ryan finds satisfaction in his career, but his favorite way to use his skills is as a volunteer underwater investigator with the Carrington County Sheriff’s Office dive team. When the body of a wealthy businessman is discovered in Lake Porter, the investigation uncovers a possible serial killer—one with a terrifying connection to Leigh Weston and deadly implications for them all.

When I sat down for that brainstorming session I knew the heroine, Leigh Weston, was adopted. What I didn’t know was that she’d been adopted from China. Once that idea had been thrown out there (I’m 99% sure by none other than The Write Conversation’s own Edie Melson), I just knew that her brother had been adopted from Bolivia.

But here’s the craziest part of this story…even though I know there were many others, that is the only thing I specifically remember that was someone’s idea other than my own!

When the brainstorming is over and you are again alone with your imagination, your subconscious takes all those new possibilities and swirls them around with ideas that were already there. They merge into something that is completely unique. Something no one but you could have come up with.

And when the final story is revealed, it’s still yours.

It’s just better than it would have been if you’d done it all on your own.

I’m forever grateful to the people who have shared their creativity with me. How about you? Do you go it alone or do you talk it out? Do you have a great brainstorming success story to share? Share it with us in the comments.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!

Grace and peace,






TWEETABLES
Brainstorming isn't cheating, it's an author's secret weapon - @LynnHBlackburn on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

A powerful tool in an author's arsenal is brainstorming - @LynnHBlackburn on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)


After a harrowing experience with an obsessed patient, oncology nurse practitioner Leigh Weston needed a change. She thought she'd left her troubles behind when she moved home to Carrington, North Carolina, and took a job in the emergency department of the local hospital. But when someone tampers with her brakes, she fears the past has chased her into the present. She reaches out to her high school friend turned homicide investigator, Ryan Parker, for help.

Ryan finds satisfaction in his career, but his favorite way to use his skills is as a volunteer underwater investigator with the Carrington County Sheriff's Office dive team. When the body of a wealthy businessman is discovered in Lake Porter, the investigation uncovers a possible serial killer--one with a terrifying connection to Leigh Weston and deadly implications for them all.

Dive into the depths of fear with an exciting new voice in romantic suspense. Award-winning author Lynn H. Blackburn grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go until the final heart-pounding page.


Lynn H. Blackburn believes in the power of stories, especially those that remind us that true love exists, a gift from the Truest Love. She’s passionate about CrossFit, coffee, and chocolate (don’t make her choose) and experimenting with recipes that feed both body and soul. She lives in South Carolina with her true love, Brian, and their three children. Her first book, Covert Justice, won the 2016 Selah Award for Mystery and Suspense and the 2016 Carol Award for Short Novel. Her second book, Hidden Legacy, released in June 2017 and her new Dive Team Investigations series kicks off in March of 2018 with Beneath the Surface. The second book in the series, In Too Deep, releases in November of 2018. You can follow her real life happily ever after at www.LynnHBlackburn.com and on FacebookTwitterPinterest, and Instagram.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Ms. Lynn. Great information. One key to collaboration, which has been hugely successful in business writing for decades, is to make sure you pull together a diverse team to avoid "group think." The other key is to always be willing to sit on the other side of the table to help other team members with their requests. Am sure you are doing both. Never thought how I might apply that to my manuscript writing. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! And you make a great point! I definitely find it's best to mix it up with people who write in my genre AND people who don't. :) And always return the favor! :)
      Grace and peace,
      Lynn

      Delete
  2. Brainstorming is awesome. Actually, brainstorming is the best remedy for writer's block.
    Great post, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. :) It's hard to come away from a brainstorming session without some new ideas and enthusiasm for the project!
      Grace and peace,
      Lynn

      Delete
  3. Brainstorming with another group of authors sounds like a party I'd like to attend, Lynn. :) Although I haven't had the opportunity to brainstorm like this, I have wondered if I should make "what if" suggestions when I critique for other authors. I don't know if ideas would be appreciated or if I would be crossing a line. I suppose it depends on the author. Thanks for sharing your experience with brainstorming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Sometimes a critique can bring up some great suggestions! But you're right that it definitely depends on the author and the type of critique situation. :)
      Grace and peace,
      Lynn

      Delete
  4. I agree with Karen Sargent! I would love the opportunity to brainstorm with trusted author friends. Perhaps someday it’ll happen. I’m looking forward to this new series Lynn. I’ve loved your previous books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I hope that will happen for you soon! Just ask around. You may find several people willing to give it a try! And thank you!! I can't wait for everyone to meet the dive team in this new series! :)
      Grace and peace,
      Lynn

      Delete
  5. Totally agree with you Lynn and Ingmar's comment about writer's block. Just a week ago I was at a standstill when a dear writer friend I often text in the wee morning hours because we're both early risers face timed me. She asked what I was doing that day. When I replied that I had no specific plans other than writing, she drove 45 minutes to my house and brainstormed with me for an hour helping me nail down some plot points! Fantastic! It breathed new life into my story. I'm thrilled to say I'm on my way to return the favor in about two hours! Looking forward to your reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That writer friend of yours is pretty awesome. :) As are you! It's so wonderful when we can find people who "get" us! I have a couple of friends that I can text a "help me" message and then meet them at a local coffee shop so they can get me rolling again! I'm glad to know your story is moving along now!
      Grace and peace,
      Lynn

      Delete
  6. I love to brainstorm! Thank you for the clarification that it's not cheating. :) I dream of starting some type of brainstorming session for authors in our area once or twice a year. I have no clue what that might look like but I enjoy it so much and I'm willing to put in the effort to make it happen. We'll see! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome, Cathy! Let me know when you do! :)
      Grace and peace,
      Lynn

      Delete