Wednesday, August 16, 2017

When You Doubt Your Calling as a Writer

by Katy Kauffman @KatyKauffman28


We need you. Maybe you’re doubting your abilities as a writer. Maybe you’re new to writing and wonder if you can really fulfill God’s calling. Let me encourage you to play your song.

Each writer is like an instrument in an orchestra, and each instrument is needed. A single violin, although moving and beautiful, does not deliver the power of the brass section or the rhythm of the percussion instruments. An orchestra needs all of its instruments and musicians, just like the body of Christ needs all of its members. Just like the book market needs all of its writers.

Are you proficient at stirring hearts with inspirational romance or with real-life stories of redemption? Do you play the staccato notes of a thriller, leading the reader further into mystery and suspense? Or do you pour from your soul melodic poetry that resonates with your readers’ life events and trials? Each “song” is needed.

Regardless of the level of our proficiency, we all keep mastering the craft—the art—of writing. Each time we reach a new level of artistry, we discover more “songs” to play, more notes to write. Each book that takes us deeper into the realm of truth and feeling, shows us where we are compared to where we need to be. As we guide the reader through our song, we also grow bit by bit. 

As long as we have new realms of knowledge and story to travel, we will keep growing, allowing our readers to experience the adventure with us. Our songs will not only entertain or encourage, they will keep pointing our listeners to the Master Musician, whose every note immerges from a heartbeat of love.

God has made us in His image—we appreciate love and crave it; we respect love and want to give it. As Christians who write, we share the love of God as we encourage people to hope when all seems dark. We draw out of Scripture treasures of light and truth that can set their hearts free.

So if you’ve ever been hesitant to play your song, don’t be. The orchestra won’t be complete without you. As we each do the assignment God has given us, we join forces to have one powerful Christian voice—a masterfully written symphony that only God Himself could orchestrate. Every instrument is needed, every song, every note. Join the symphony and answer God’s call to write. Or be encouraged to keep trying. Your song may be exactly what someone else needs to hear.

Tell us in the comments below what genre of writing is music to your soul. Tell us how you’re striving to grow more proficient at delivering the melody God has entrusted to you.

TWEETABLES



Katy Kauffman is an award-winning author and a co-founder of Lighthouse Bible Studies, a ministry which seeks to connect people to God through His Word. She has taught the Bible to women and teens, and has published two Bible studies on winning life’s spiritual battles. Her newest release, Breaking the Chains, is a compilation on how to overcome spiritual bondage. Katy is also an editor and a designer of Refresh Bible Study Magazine. She makes her home near Atlanta, Georgia.

16 comments:

  1. Katy, what a beautiful post. Thank you. My favorite line, "We draw out of Scripture treasures of light and truth that can set their hearts free." I write non-fiction. My song, Truth to set the captives free. I think of truth as the cymbals, breaking through all the noise. A distinct sound that can't be missed. God bless you as you serve Him, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Cherrilynn! I am glad you liked the post. That's an appropriate picture of truth. May God continue to bless you and your writing! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. What a lovely timely post. I love to read fiction and nonfiction, where people see the hand of God in profound but likely simple situations. The fiction I write - reflects that love of knowing God is at work in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Rita! Thank you for sharing. It brings peace, joy, and comfort to know God is always at work. Thanks for reading the post and commenting. May God bless your writing!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful reminder and much needed at the moment. I needed to have these words poured over me. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear it was the right timing, Beth. Thank you for sharing that, and God bless you as you write!

      Delete
  4. Perfect. Thank you, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My "day job" is as a professional cellist, so obviously I love this post and it makes total sense to me! When I'm not playing actual music on my cello, I make metaphorical music in the field of inspirational romance. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting and sharing that, Amanda! I love hearing that. I followed you on Twitter, so I hope to keep up with your books. I love historical romance. That's wonderful that you can play actual music and "book" music.

      Delete
  6. Katy, what a wonderful analogy you've created—thank you! As a children's fiction writer, I imagine my work might take the part of a merry flute, capturing the attention of young ones and drawing them into a lifelong dance with the written word. What a privilege to play for the Master Musician!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I think that instrument is the perfect analogy for children's fiction. May God bless your "music," and thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. Another indication that you were an excellent choice for first chair position in the orchestra. Great job as always from one of my all-time favorite sources of inspiration and encouragement. Thanks, Edie, for sharing your space, and thanks, Katy, for filling it so well. Now I'm off to see where God might want to stick some of the weird noises I seem to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, you are so kind. Thank you for the encouragement. I love the music that God gives you. Please keep playing, and thanks for commenting this week!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post, Katy, and sweet analogy. I don't know that my soul loves a particular genre, just lovely writing. I suppose it would be like the chimes in the back row -- reverberating through the piece with subtle staccatos that make the audience smile. Thanks for the imagery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Rosemarie! I hear music when I read your short stories. Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete