Saturday, March 11, 2017

When You Lighten the Burden of Others


by Beth Vogt @BethVogt


There are times I get to the end of the day and I think, “What did I accomplish today?”

Actually, I usually think, “I didn’t get anything accomplished today.”

Somewhere along the way I lost my To Do list. Or circumstances ran over my plans for the day. I want to find a red pen and mark the day with a big “F.”

Fail.

It’s funny — not “ha ha” funny, but pathetic — how crossing things off my list makes me feel fulfilled. Meaningful. Been-there-accomplished-that proud.

  • I beat back the laundry. 
  • I submitted edits to my publisher. 
  • I exercised.
  • I went to physical therapy. 
Maybe, just maybe, I’m asking the wrong question at the end of those “what did I accomplish” days. Maybe I should ask this question instead: Did I lighten anyone else’s burden today?

No day is wasted if I’ve considered the needs of others more important than my want-to-do list. I know how I feel when someone takes time out of their busy day to lighten my burden. I feel seen. Valued.

In Your Words: When has someone taken time to lighten your burden? How do remember to focus on others’ and not just your To Do list?


TWEETABLE
When you lighten the burden of others - @BethVogt #inotherswords #quotes (Click to Tweet)

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” 

A nonfiction writer and editor who said she’d never write fiction, Beth is now a novelist with Howard Books. She enjoys writing inspirational contemporary romance because she believes there’s more to happily-ever-after than the fairy tales tell us. Connect with Beth on her website, Twitter, Facebook, or check out her blog on quotes, In Others’ Words.

7 comments:

  1. Amen, Beth. God reminded me of this very lesson when I had a friend stay with me for 2 weeks. I could not find time to write, and my "routine" was upset. She does not know Jesus. I spent time with her, my husband cooked her favorite foods. The Spirit impressed on my heart, "writing can wait. You are the only Jesus she sees."She is coming back to spend the month of April with us. We are excited to show her God's love again. I'm getting extra writing done now, if God allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherrilyn: I pray your time with your friend goes well in April. How wise of you to get extra writing done now.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just yesterday a sweet acquaintance of mine caught me at work and took a moment to tell me she wanted to exchange numbers, that if there was anything I needed to talk about or pray about to give her a call. I am so encouraged by that because I really respect her and this looks like the opportunity to build a meaningful friendship. I've been looking for a bosom friend and kindred spirit lately, and I think she is one. I'm learning friendship is a valuable thing, that God orchestrates these things and as I delight in Him He grants the desires of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie: What a precious glimpse of God's love for us when He interrupts our regularly scheduled days to grant us the desire of our hearts. I can't help but think that you might be an Anne of Green Gables fan, too -- "kindred spirit"? I love those kinds of friends! :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, yes she's my favorite character, and movie. You know it! That's how I measure friendships - they are either a kindred spirit or not. Thanks Beth.

      Delete
  4. I make a daily, weekly, monthly and sometimes quarterly To-do list. Can you tell I need structure? Over the years of growing closer to the Lord, being married to a very spontaneous what's-a-to-do-list-man, kids and their friends, animals, and you name it—I've come to discover something. If God and my other relationships are my first priority on the list, the rest of the stuff works out. When I get interrupted, I have learned to ask, "Yes, Lord?" It helps me turn down my frustration level. Simple formula: "Seek first the Kingdom of God."
    Thanks for the reminder. I needed it. I'll write it on my To-do list :)

    ReplyDelete