Thursday, June 23, 2016

We are Equipped

by Henry McLaughlin @RiverBendSagas

God has a will, a plan for each of us. Psalm 139:16 (NLT) tells us, You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

Each of us is on this earth for a specific reason. We may not know it completely right now. We may be in a season of preparation to enter that calling. But God has a plan for each of us.

Some are called to be pastors and teachers, some doctors, lawyers. Some to be auto mechanics, electricians, and plumbers.

Some, like myself, are called to be writers.

In Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT), God tells us “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Whatever our calling, God will not just throw us into.
Whatever our calling, God will not just throw us into it, like throwing a toddler into the pool so he is forced to learn to swim.

He prepares us.

What makes the preparation fun, and at times frustrating, is that it’s uniquely different for each of us.

One person may go through an entirely different set of life experiences than me, yet end up as a writer. I think this is another example of how God cares for us as individuals. He has a unique and personal relationship with each of us. We are all His favorite child.

And he equips us.

Hebrews 13:21 (NLT) may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.

From childhood, I’ve had a love for words and books, for reading, for stories. In my career, each job has called for me to read more, to read better, and to write: case records, personnel reports, court documents, training curriculum, and policy and procedure.

Then the glimmer of writing fiction stirred in my heart. And the equipping continued. Books on writing, writing conferences and classes, critique groups, critique partners, mentors, coaches, developing a learning heart and a thick skin. All designed to teach me the craft and the business of writing, to humble myself before Him, to submit to His plan and will for my life.

And it’s been worth every step. It goes beyond being published.

I’ve become a better person and a better Christian. My relationship with Him is closer than ever. He’s rewarded me with insights into myself and with precious friendships I would never have experienced had I not made the choice to follow what He called me to do.

What is He calling you to do? How is He equipping you?

TWEETABLES
God doesn't just throw us into our calling, He prepares us - @RiverBendSagas (Click to Tweet)

We are equipped - Henry McLaughlin, @RiverBendSagas (Click to Tweet)


Henry’s debut novel, Journey to Riverbend, won the 2009 Operation First Novel contest. 

He serves as Associate Director of North Texas Christian Writers. 


Henry edits novels, leads critique groups, and teaches at conferences and workshops. He enjoys mentoring and coaching individual writers. 


Connect with Henry on his blogTwitter and Facebook.

6 comments:

  1. Henry, thank you for the reminder that God prepares us for our calling. I know that I am saved to serve the body of Christ, specifically writers. God has placed me in the position of Associate Editor for Almost an Author. I know many others are more qualified for the ministry. I have only been writing for 2 years. I did not want to be a writer. God changed my heart. He impressed upon my spirit, "Cherrilynn, you are to promote, encourage and pray for these writers, if I chose to publish your writing that is my business." I write out of obedience. God has blessed me with a book contract. I spend hours learning the craft, promoting my writer friends and praying. I have much to learn but I am blessed to be in His will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cherrilynn for your example of obedience to his call. He blesses our obedience and prospers us when we listen to his word and his call and put them into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these verses and principles. I was just reading and meditating on Hebrews 13:21 this morning. As the release of my first book approaches (end of August) and there's yet more to learn and do, your post serves as a "sacred echo" for me as I begin today's work. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I pray your book is a tremendous success.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Henry, for emphasizing the fact that we must do our part. And it's not always fun. However, as you stated, He rewards us with character growth, a more intimate relationship with Him, and new friends who bring joy to our lives. If I'm never published, these gifts are worth the effort. God bless you, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Bruce. One of the beta readers of my first book asked me not to cut some dialogue because it so blessed her and brought her closer to God. And, in that still small voice, God told me that even if my book was never published, it served his purpose: it brought her closer to him. Since then, I've always tried to remember my writing is to serve him first, not me.

    ReplyDelete