Friday, May 6, 2016

Writing with a Purpose

by Bruce Brady @BDBrady007

The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me, and I have listened. I have not rebelled or turned away. - Isaiah 50:5

I’m moving!

I didn’t want to, but I’m moving. I’m leaving my church and friends behind, and relocating to a place I once considered undesirable. It’s a transient-filled town that thrives on tourism. It’s also noted for its abundant crime. I don’t really like crowds, and I’m certainly not a fan of lawlessness. I prefer peaceful quiet, so when I heard the words “let’s move here” come out of me, I questioned whether my motive was simply an impulse to care for my wife should she be widowed.

Many of you know I’m living with cancer and could be called home at any time. When I suggested we move, I thought the Lord was leading me to this place I don’t particularly like so that my wife would have family support when I leave this world. But I was wrong.

As soon as we committed to moving, God showed me—us—His reason for our painful packing. A new ministry. One He revealed through my wife. He often speaks to me through her about important matters. (I wish He’d stop doing that—it’s very humbling.)

So what does our next chapter have to do with you, and writing? It comes down to obedience. As the verse says, when He spoke to us, we listened and didn’t rebel. Our submission to His lead has resulted in a home sale and move that has gone eerily smooth—with the exception of the painful packing experience. And this is the promise He makes to us all. When we follow Him, He smooths our paths (Exodus 23:20).

The ideas and words will flow as we obediently write for Him. Sure there will be bumps along the way. Sometimes they result from our taking control away from Him. Other times, He wants us to involve others in our writing process—because we were created for community.

The Lord created us to have an intimate relationship with Him. He also wants us to tell others about His desire to be deeply involved with every man, woman, and child. A relationship where we know He loves us and submit to His lead, knowing He will provide our best possible outcome. We can’t communicate the depths of His love without first developing a kinship with those we encounter. It’s the way He designed us.

While personal relationships are most effective for sharing His love, our writing can reach hundreds, thousands, even millions of people. Our words will influence those who read or hear them. Our stories have the power to change lives.

This is an exciting possibility and an awesome responsibility. When we write from a world view, we will most likely excite human lusts and fears. But when we write for Him, we can lift our readers to new heights. We can help them reach their full potential. We can lead them to the greatest relationship they’ll ever have. These are some of the best reasons to listen to and write for Him.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.


TWEETABLE
#Writing with a Purpose - @BDBrady007 on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Bruce Brady is an author, writer and playwright. His work has appeared in Focus on the Family’s Thriving Family, www.ChristianDevotions.us, and on stage. Currently, Bruce is working on a Young Adult Novel about a boy who must deal with the death of his dad, being bullied, and helping his mom through her grief. His first five pages took third place in the ACFW South Carolina Chapter’s “First Five Pages” contest.

When he’s not writing, Bruce spends time learning from and helping other writers. He serves as Mentor of Word Weavers International’s Online Chapter, and as a member of Cross ‘N’ Pens, The Writer’s Plot, ACFW’s National and South Carolina Chapters.

“My dream is to entertain my readers and give them hope as they travel the rocky road of life.”

22 comments:

  1. Well said. We men would be much better off if we'd only listen to God speaking through our wives! My prayers for you all in your new location and ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis. I agree with you 100%. Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  2. Blessings in your new location and ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randy. I appreciate your prayers, and pray you have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  3. Bruce I needed this, especially this morning. I was fearful when I hit the "Publish" button on my blog this morning. I knew I was being obedient but the content is real and raw. I bear my soul for all the world to see; I am a sinner. Thank you for the confirmation to obey. I pray for you and your family. May God continue to bless the work of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherrilynn. I pray that your blog post reaches everyone God intends it to. Keep the faith. And keep writing real and raw. Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
    2. Cherrilynn, your identity in Christ is not sinner, but rather saint by calling. See Ephesians 4:12 and 1 Corinthians 1:2. Grace and peace to you in Christ Jesus. May all fear is washed away by Gods torrents of love of God's love for you.

      Delete
    3. Cherrilynn, your identity in Christ is not sinner, but rather saint by calling. See Ephesians 4:12 and 1 Corinthians 1:2. Grace and peace to you in Christ Jesus. May all fear is washed away by Gods torrents of love of God's love for you.

      Delete
  4. Your words of knowing and obeying are powerful ando inspiring. A wonderful message for today and any day. May blessings continue to unfold for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Bruce, Once again your words spoke directly to me. "Our submission to His lead has resulted in a home sale and move that has gone eerily smooth" That line alone spoke a wealth of knowledge. It is so amazing how, when we are being submissive to God's will life does go by with less drama, and confusion. Maybe hard work like packing and maybe even a little doubt seeps in while Satan tries one more time to detour us. But God opens His floodgates when we are obedient. Thanks again for your great words of wisdom and as usual I was truly blessed as I am often am when I read your post. Keep up the great work. I will continue to keep you in my prayers for your health issue but now I will add your new ministry and I hope you will keep us updated as it blossoms. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. One thing I've learned is that whatever is happening in our life is happening for a reason that needs to be shared. Even in the Bible the healings and other miracles took place not only to affect the recipient, but also to teach others the power of God's love. So I will be keeping you updated.

      Delete
  6. Bruce, a few years ago I made the painful process move from a place I'd lived for many years to a place I never wanted to live. I was obedient but with a hard heart. Too many months went by in my stubbornness before I yielded and began to see the blessings God poured out on me and the way He used me in the lives of others.

    You are such an inspiration that you have readily accepted God's call and you move with anticipation of what God will do through you and your wife. I pray blessings on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. I've learned, through painful resistance, that giving in to His lead is much easier than trying to do things my way. Since then, He has blessed me with the excitement of anticipation rather than the regrets of not getting my way. Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  7. Writing can be discouraging. I second-guess myself often,that is until I remember why I'm doing this. Your post reminded me—yet again—I'm writing for HIM! Blessing to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beckie. May He continue to bless you with complete assurance that you're writing for Him. Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  8. Oh Bruce, my brother in Christ, I can so relate on many levels. As a pastor's wife who has said to God, "You're moving us where? Seriously?" - I can testify that you need to arrive, be obedient, and hold on for the adventure. As to writing, I've also said, "Now, God, if I write about that sensitive issue, I'm not sure about the reaction. Are You sure?" - My newest release tested me in this way. But God has already given affirmation through a reader who appreciated my handling of a delicate subject. No matter the adventure God affords, obey and blessings will follow. God bless you in your new adventure with Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. My most recent revelation is that I must write the truth about sensitive issues I face no matter the reaction. In doing this, as you know, we reach those who need to hear the message, and those who object will have a seed planted that will blossom at the right time. Thankfully, He's is teaching me to get over myself, allowing me to act and write for Him, regardless of the cost, and He will take care of me. Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much, Bruce, for this challenging and encouraging post! I was especially impacted by your point that sometimes writing can be hard because we're supposed to seek help from others, since we were created for community. That really hits home for me, as I tend to think I can handle all my writing alone and prefer it that way. But I recently experienced how helpful a writing buddy could be when I actually admitted I could use the help. I hadn't thought of tying the truth that we're called to be in relationships and community to letting others help us with our writing. Great point and food for thought. Thanks, and God bless you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerusha. Community is a struggle I also had because I often found myself having to do things on my own. Not because I didn't need help, but because I believed my timeline was most important. I'm very thankful that He allowed me to yield to His leading, and His showing me that I'm not as important as I thought I was, but was very important to Him. Keep writing, and relying on Him for your best results. God bless you.

      Delete
  10. You have been, and continue to be, such an inspiration Bruce. Blessings on you and your wife, your move and your new ministry opportunities!!!

    ReplyDelete