Saturday, November 14, 2015

One Little Step Forward

by Beth Vogt @BethVogt

"To be courageous means to be afraid but to go a little step forward anyway."
Beverly Sills (1929-2007), American operatic soprano

I believe that being courageous happens at the same time you are fear-filled.

You don’t wait for the fear to vanish, gather courage in your fists, and advance. No, true bravery manifests when someone whispers, “I’m scared” and then doesn’t back down from whatever enemy stands before them.

I also know that winning the day doesn’t always mean total victory. Sometimes it’s holding the ground you’ve already won. Or risking one … step … forward … and saying, “Tomorrow I will try again.”

I hang around a lot of courageous people. Some of my closest friends and I like to sing “Brave” by Sara Bareilles — it’s a vocal reminder to be brave, be ourselves, to step up, step out … to go for it, to go forward.

In Your Words: How’s your week been? What opportunity (or opportunities) did you have to be brave?

TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” 

A nonfiction writer and editor who said she’d never write fiction, Beth is now a novelist with Howard Books. She enjoys writing inspirational contemporary romance because she believes there’s more to happily-ever-after than the fairy tales tell us. Connect with Beth on her website, Twitter, Facebook, or check out her blog on quotes, In Others’ Words.

7 comments:

  1. For me, I've gone back to school for the first time in over twenty years! It takes courage to be a 41 year old "adult learner" among a bunch of 18 year olds!

    Also, NaNoWriMo takes a lot of bravery! But I'm chasing the 50K word dragon, one small step at a time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda:
      Brava for going back to school -- that's a wonderful thing to do!
      And NaNoWriMo is a tremendous writer's challenge too.

      Delete
  2. "Holding ground you've already won" Wow that blessed me. We have had a spiritual battle with my son. I was fearful he would regress, He has not. I pray and continue to encourage my son as he works hard to get through school. We have not lost any ground in his progress even though We have not gone forward. Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherrilyn:
      I am thankful the post today encouraged you. I understand being in spiritual battles for others -- both family and friends. And sometimes reminding myself that holding our ground is success is what has given me the courage to continue the next day. Praying for you. And I'm not just saying that.

      Delete
    2. Cherrilynn: Sorry one of the "n's" got dropped of your name. Auto-correct kept correcting me! :)

      Delete
  3. Beth, I absolutely love this post! It is so true that sometimes we have to gather courage and act on the little we have and move forward. The progress may not be in leaps and bounds, but it is sometimes in inches. The song, "Brave" is one of my favorites, too. Here is a verse our family has posted on the fridge that we have learned to encourage us:

    "The Spirit of the Lord has filled me with power. He helps me do what is fair. He makes me brave." ~Micah 3:8a

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle:
    Thank you for sharing that verse from Micah. It's so, so perfect.

    ReplyDelete