Friday, July 3, 2015

The Big Cs of Writing

by Bruce Brady @BDBrady007

Tomorrow we, as a nation, celebrate the day our ancestors declared their independence from dictatorial government. The monarchy increasingly pressed for greater control over their lives until they’d had enough.

Political pressures continued until tensions reached a crisis. Colonists knew they were called to establish a new country—one that would allow its citizens to freely worship God and create a new form of government that serves the people. Like David, they faced their giant, committing themselves to sever their bonds with their oppressors. No matter what.

Recently, I found myself facing a crisis. I listened to my doctor say, “You have metastatic prostate cancer that has metastasized to your bones. We can’t cure it. All we can do is manage its growth and your pain.”

The Lord instantly blessed me with an awesome peace. Knowing I was in good hands whether I live or die kept me from plunging into depression. I did, however, begin concocting reasons I can’t finish the novel I’ve been working on for well over a year.

I’d like to be traditionally published but there’s a good chance I won’t live that long. Writing is hard enough for healthy people, now I have the added complication of being unable to sit or stand for more than a few minutes before I’m racked with pain. Many publishers are looking for a long term, multi-book relationship. That’s not looking too good for me.

Hey! These were great arguments. And I had plenty more. God didn’t buy them. He reminded me that I was called to serve Him through the written word. He also reminded me that He controls when I die.

I responded by committing myself to finishing the novel, even if it’s never published. I’ll do it for the readers without regard to financial rewards or professional accolades. I’ll trust Him for the words and the results.

So why am I writing this? Because I know that if you’re reading it, you’re called to write for Him also. Whatever crisis you may or will face, remember your calling. You may not receive instant peace like I did. Don’t give up. Your voice is the only one that will reach some readers. Others may come close, but your words are the exact words they need to read or hear. Never lose sight of that.

Armed with your new resolve, commit yourself to finishing what you started. Instead of looking for reasons not to write, visualize your audience and press on. Do as much as you can whenever you can. Forget about whether you’ll get published or if anyone will like it. If you never make a dime and only reach one person, so what? Stay true to your calling and follow through. It will greatly improve your outlook on life and your situation.


So what crisis are you facing? How are you handling it? Let’s keep this conversation going.

TWEETABLE
One of The Big Cs of #Writing - commit to finishing strong - @BDBrady007 on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Bruce Brady is an author, writer and playwright. His work has appeared in Focus on the Family’s Thriving Family, www.ChristianDevotions.us, and on stage. Currently, Bruce is working on a Young Adult Novel about a boy who must deal with the death of his dad, being bullied, and helping his mom through her grief. His first five pages took third place in the ACFW South Carolina Chapter’s “First Five Pages” contest.

When he’s not writing, Bruce spends time learning from and helping other writers. He serves as Mentor of Word Weavers International’s Online Chapter, and as a member of Cross ‘N’ Pens, The Writer’s Plot, ACFW’s National and South Carolina Chapters.

“My dream is to entertain my readers and give them hope as they travel the rocky road of life.”

28 comments:

  1. Bruce, Thank you for writing; this. God has been impressing the same thing on my heart. I may only touch one person; that one person could be the next Billy Graham, Corrie Ten Boom or a mom who raises the next great Evangelist. He has also impressed upon my heart to promote the writings of my brothers and sisters. He will take care of me. We serve a great God. Have a wonderful Holiday weekend celebrating Independence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherrilynn. It's easy for anyone to lose sight of our calling when crises hit. And I'm thankful that God reminds us that we write to reach others for Him, no matter the earthly reward, or lack thereof. Have a blessed fourth.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Bruce. Good on'ya. Right word at the write time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, sometimes I think those of us called to write feel we have to be multi-pub'd novelist to fulfill God's call, when in truth, he may only be calling us to write a heartfelt note to someone who is hurting, a letter of encouragement to a friend, or an honest blog post like you have done. Maybe we should remember he is the one we truly write for?

    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers, Sandy. I believe that when writers are striving to improve their craft through continuing education, it's easy to get focused on publication. You're exactly right in reminding us that our purpose may be as simple as the right letter at the right time. Keep writing, and enjoy your Fourth.

      Delete
  4. Powerful reminder for all of us, Bruce! Thank you for encouraging us all to commit to and complete what we're called to do. I'm blessed to be able to count you as not only a friend and mentor, but a brother as well. We're continuing to pray for God's healing! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vonda. You know I love you also. I can count on one hand my writing mentors, and you are certainly one of them. Your enthusiasm inspires me. I'm proud to call you friend and sister. Have a wonderful Fourth. Thanks for your prayers, and hug Gary for me.

      Delete
  5. Always the encourager -- regardless of circumstances. You are quite the blessing, Bruce Brady. Thank you for this timely and beautiful reminder. Vonda is right -- prayers continue for your healing! You're surrounded by people who love you and care about both you and Candice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. You have blessed me many times, so I'm happy to return the favor. Candice and I greatly appreciate your prayers. Hope to see you next week. Have a blessed Fourth.

      Delete
  6. Bruce, you are so encouraging and inspiring! I'm sure I'm not the only one who needed to read these words while the Holy Spirit gently nudged me onward in my writing. Praying for you and praising God with you, that He has a plan for each of our lives!!!! Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I'm glad God ignored me when I told Him I didn't want to write this. Just like a parent. :-) I pray you and yours have a blessed Fourth. And thanks for your blessing.

      Delete
  7. Hi Bruce. Thank you for writing these words today. We have a big God, He is worthy of big things from us. Even if we don't know why. He knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. You're so right. Our God is awesome, and He proves it every day. Hope to see you next week. Have a blessed Fourth.

      Delete
  8. Bruce,

    My heartfelt sympathies.

    My heartfelt gratitude, too. Your courage and boldness are astounding.

    Your determination to write what you've been given to write no matter the circumstances or outcome puts me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, for your sympathy and gratitude. I'm happy God reached you through this post. Please don't feel shame, just keep on writing. I can say that not writing makes it harder to do when you finally start again after a long layoff. Have a blessed Fourth.

      Delete
  9. I know that you are trusting God with this medical prognosis. But I'm going to send a prayer up for you anyway. Thank you for these words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Any and all prayers are appreciated, not only by me but by all the angels in heaven. I know He will keep me here until it's time for me to go home, and I'm ready either way. God bless you and have a great Fourth.

      Delete
  10. Bruce, thank you for writing this. May God wrap his arms around your and Candice and bless your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mary. And may He bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear your prognosis. But your courage to share is a blessing. Truthfully I felt like I was punched in the stomach when I read your doctors words. I don't know you, but I know you have been thrown a curve ball. Thank you for your encouraging words to keep on writing. I wrote two novels and have had them perking in my brain since receiving critiques from a writing contest. Your words ring so much truth because even if I'm never published, I know the words I wrote were a healing for my own heart. God bless you Bruce Brady. Prayers are going up for you. May the Lord continue to fill you with peace and His assurance as you are nestled into the hollow of His hand.
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I truly appreciate your prayers and your Godly love. I encourage you to finish those novels. Don't let critiques stop you. The stories are yours. And if your writing with God, they need to be told. Someone is out there looking for your words to bless them. Just write for Him and He'll take care of the details. Have a wonderful Fourth.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for writing this post, Bruce. Your words of wisdom, strength, and honesty inspire me. God is the author, we are His pens. His ways certainly aren't ours but still, He's working His wonders. I can relate to your feeling of peace during my recent malignant melanoma diagnosis and the seven hour reconstructive surgery ... Sometimes He uses our own life stories to inspire and finish all the other stories He plants in us. I agree, God is awesome. He's still in the miracle making business. I'm praying for yours. Blessings and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joann. I pray all blessing on you. You know the peace He supplies in times of big troubles. Don't keep it a secret. Others need to hear how awesome He is. I'll continue to lift you up in prayer. Have a beautiful Fourth. Keep in touch, sister.

      Delete
  14. I am sorry to read about your pain. Praying for you and thanking God for your resolve to serve Him and encourage others to do the same by your excellent spirit and example.

    Happy 4th to you and your family.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and prayers, Mary. If I've learned anything from Jesus, it's that none of my experience are solely for my benefit or growth. I hope you had a happy Fourth as I did.

      Delete
  15. Hey Mr. Bruce! I'm glad that God is reminding you to keep writing, cause I can't wait to read your finished novel. I'll keep praying for you, so keep writing.
    Happy 4th of July.

    P.S Just so you know, my grandfather battled with cancer for two years when the doctors told him that he only had six months. He was still able to do a lot, he even went to Europe during his first year with cancer. It just goes to show that God will make sure you have the right amount of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karley. I so appreciate your prayers. And I will keep writing, no matter how little I may produce per sitting. I can't wait to read my finished novel either. :-) I hope to see you this week at Cross 'N Pens.

      Delete