Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Writer's Life—Distractions

by Lynette Eason @LynetteEason

What is your distraction?

I don’t know about y’all, but two weeks sure does pass by fast for me. It gets me thinking how fast my kids are growing up, how fast that deadline arrives, how fast that opportunity came and left. Lately I’ve been thinking about time. How am I spending it? What are the results of how I’m using my time? We often talk about being good stewards of our money, but what kind of steward are we with the time the Lord has allotted for us? Yes, I’m preaching to the choir. LOL

Anyway, I know that I tend to take on more than I can handle sometimes. And sometimes the things that I say yes to might be GOOD things, but that doesn’t mean they’re the RIGHT things for me. Sometimes they become a distraction from the purpose I’ve been called to fulfill.

So what do I mean by that?

It means that I have a pretty wise husband. 

Last year at the beginning of August, I took on a full time teaching job.  My husband advised against it, but basically told me it was my decision. You see, our benefits were running out in December and we really couldn’t afford a private policy, etc. but my husband said we’d figure something out. I decided it was this job that was offered at just the right time. And yes, it has its benefits. Literally. We enjoy the health benefits with a low premium and a low deductible, etc. I even get to teach from home in my PJs if I want to, have a little flexibility and be home when my kids are here. Sounds perfect, right?

Unfortunately, it has also greatly interfered with my writing. And guess what? Writing is what I’ve been called to do. It’s my passion, my ministry, a way for me to connect with people and share with them. I can’t tell you how many emails I get from people thanking me for writing the stories that I write and how it has blessed their lives. Or how the Lord spoke to them through my stories. WOW. That’s so amazing to me.

I also can’t tell you how many emails fall through the cracks and don’t get answered because I’m too busy working/teaching or racing to get my word count in. And then I forget what emails I’ve answered and which ones I haven’t. And I really hate that.

After much prayer and taking a good hard look at the things I’ve been saying yes to, I’ve decided to quit my job. Yes, the one with the benefits. The one that comes with a dependable two week paycheck. The one keeps me from doing what I’ve been called to do. Is that stupid? Irresponsible? Or am I listening to God and getting rid of one of the distractions in my life that is keeping me from fully participating in what He has planned for me? I choose to believe it’s the last one. Yes, it’s stepping out on faith. Yes, there will be sacrifices because of this choice, but I also believe that God’s got my back. He has me and my family covered and because I’m choosing to believe Him, He’s got a whole lot of blessings ready for us too. I’m looking forward to those and seeing where He’s going to take me in the writing world. It may be nowhere, it may be someplace super exciting. Regardless, it’s all in His hands and that’s the absolute best place to be.

How about you? Have you been asked to sacrifice something good in order to be able to do something better? Have you made a decision in regards to your writing that has made you do something that seems “stupid” or careless? I’d love to hear your responses.

TWEETABLES
The writing life is filled with distractions - thoughts on how to cope from @LynetteEason on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Sometimes GOOD get in the way of BEST - Thoughts on distractions in the #writing life - via @LynetteEason (Click to Tweet)

Lynette Eason is the best selling, award winning author of the Women of Justice Series and the Deadly Reunions series. Since 2007, she has written/contracted thirty-six books. Currently, she writes for Revell and Harlequin’s Love Inspired Suspense line. Her books have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists. She has won several awards including the 2013 Carol Award for WHEN A HEART STOPS. Lynette teaches at writing conferences all over the country. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA). Lynette can be found online at www.lynetteeason.com and www.facebook.com/lynette.eason and @lynetteeason on Twitter.

17 comments:

  1. I wish I could drop the day job and write full time but can't for some of the same reasons--insurance, etc. But I could knuckle down and use my time more wisely to get more words on paper. Too much thinking about lack of time for writing when I could be using that time to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Great point! I confess I do the same thing. Think about when I could write when I could actually be writing. LOL. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, this really hit home. My husband's been saying to quit my day job for months since the book idea I've been kicking around is finally concrete enough to write. I may have also felt a nudge (or a shove) to quit from God. But, then, who's listening? It sure hasn't been me since I'm focused on my financial security. Thanks, Lynette. This has me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, well don't quit on my say so! LOL. But yes, God has a way of making things pretty clear when we really focus on listening to him. : ) Praying you make the right decision.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes God stops us in the midst of what we think is the right thing to be doing. Something similar has happened to me recently regarding health. I love to write, yet due to this illness I've come to a halt. Which is a bit annoying as I now have time to write! Will return to work in the next couple of weeks. Praying the words will start flowing again.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for your health, Lorraine, and that you get some words written.

      Delete
  4. Mine is email, more than anything. I try to take care of the musts in the early hours of morning ... okay my early hours may be different than yours. From abotu 8 to 9:30 is taken up with business. After that I need to learn to TURN IT OFF!!! lol That's a hard thing to do for a people-person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it. I'm a morning person and mostly productive from about 6:30 AM to lunch time. After that, I'm pretty useless. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I quit my full-time job last year at a technical college and went part time. The purpose was to spend more time on a non-profit single parent ministry I founded and to market my book for single moms and write more. I struggled for almost a year on how to fit the writing in, as people would ask me to do this and that and that and this and before I knew it my plate was too full!! It was all good stuff too. Just like you said, just because it’s good and you’re good at it, doesn’t mean you say yes. I cleaned off my plate some, and now purposely schedule my writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Four years ago, I faced the same decision. My day job was coming to an end and we faced the future with some trepidation. I was ready to postpone my dream and find another job. And then God opened the door. I was able to become a full time writer and benefits are through my wife's part-time employment--and she did not have to increase her hours or change her schedule. God even arranged it that we did not go one day without benefits.
    We have been blessed beyond measure. And I've learned to treasure this opportunity He's called me to because I can see His hand and His faithfulness. It's a gift we both respect and honor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Senior year of college the Lord asked me to leave a relationship behind that was holding me back from being the woman God wanted me to be. It was a definite, "Walk away" no more contact request and one of the hardest things I have ever done. Yet less than a month later a Godly, amazing Christian man asked me out who within a year would become my husband. That was indeed the best decision of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been where you are. What's amazing is how God will provide all your needs. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynette, I'm so proud of you! I know we recently discussed this very issue...and now you've made the decision. Yes, I'm proud of you. Can't wait to see what new words He has for you to write!

    ReplyDelete