Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I Love Being a Writing Hermit

 by Beth Ann Farley

Are you a hermit?  When I first took the leap of faith to leave my full time employment to stay home and heal my body, little did I know that God had more in store for me. I hated—not a very nice word—being home by myself. I missed people. I had worked in a very busy public library for many years and then boom; home to heal and be ALONE so much of the time.

Each and every day, I would just sink deeper and deeper into depression because I missed my life. I had no routine. I had no desire to do anything. It wasn’t until I surrendered to God allowing Him to take hold of my life and teach me patience. During what felt like an eternity of adjusting to my new shut-in life, I had no idea that God was growing me into servant with my writing.

During the healing process, I started reading the Word of God again and accepting each and every day for what it was. I found a great Bible Group to join, did a little bit of volunteer work but mostly became comfortable with being home honoring the silence of writing. I researched topics, made my plot cards, took my free writing classes, started a blog, and started submitting articles to various magazines. I became so comfortable that now I love being a writing HERMIT.

Is that okay? Is it okay to love being a writing hermit? I love being in my own zone. I love when my to do list consists only of writing. I love when everyone is gone, phone is off, sunshine is peeking in on my desk and I can retreat in my writing. However, I have to admit…It is NOT okay for me to be a hermit every day because I would forget the world around me. I would forget to enjoy live beyond the words.

Like many writers, we gather our stories from our life experiences. I glean from other women who like to share. We can learn so much in life just by becoming part of life. After all, Jesus was more than a carpenter. He did not stay in his “shop” all day creating; just the opposite.

I read a quote from Jean Rook from Dressing for Success (1968):

One day a week, Sunday in my case, I believe in resting the skin. No foundation cream, no powder, but always eyeliner and mascara. Unless you don’t mind looking like a boiled egg.  —Jean Rock

Now, if we can apply that to our writing lives: One day a week, believe in resting from the world. No pens, no computers, no paper, no deadlines; well maybe a little peak at your emails. Unless you do this you’ll end up looking like a “boiled-egg.” What does that even mean?


Don’t forget to come out of your writing shell and take in the world around you. You’ll be amazed at what words you’ll be excited to share about.

What are some ways you find to come out of your shell? Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

TWEETABLES


Beth Ann Farley lives in Kansas City, MO with her husband and six grown children and 13 grandchildren. She has written for www.bookfun.org., Toot n’ Town magazine. She has recently been published with Landline magazine, Teachers in Focus, Horse & Rider, Mature Years, Indian Life and Wesleyan Publishing.  Her poetry has been featured in Sweet Freedom written by Jennifer Slattery. She has been a guest blogger on thewriteconversation@blogspot.com by Edie Melson and Poppy Smith’s Inspiring Women to Thrive blog. Beth is a co-host on Living by Grace, a faith-based Facebook community. She often writes for the Senior Smart Network; a network devoted to senior citizens.

Beth enjoys spending time with family and friends. She loves to tootle around the country side with her husband and their motorcycle. She loves reading, writing in her journal walking her little peek-a-poo named Peek-a-chew and engaging in Women’s’ Bible Studies.

Visit her online at: http://firsthalfday1.wordpress.com.

11 comments:

  1. I believe there is a little bit of introvert (or hermit) in all writers. I'm employed full time, so I cherish the moments when I can be home alone to write. I am blessed in that I have a generous amount of vacation time. I often take those days as "staycations." I stay home, and I write (or sometime do nothing!)

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, think you're so right! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. I like the "do-nothing" concept. I only work part time but even on those days when I go to work, I long to be at my computer. Thanks Joan.

      Delete
  2. This is so true. We have to balance our hermit-hood with being in contact with people. For me, this is the various writing groups I lead or coach. My weekly group, where I'm just a regular member, is the one with the deepest friendships and the most inspiration and encouragement. There is a temptation to not keep these in balance and then my writing time shrinks until I make the adjustments to keep it first priority.
    The best decision I've made is to take that one day a week of rest. No writing, no social media, minimal email. The focus is on time with God and my wife, reading just for the fun of it, a nice dinner out, and movies. This day recharges me for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry, that's exactly what I do. It's revolutionized my writing life as well as my regular life. Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. Henry,
      Oh boy do I agree with that. I get frustrated when I have to do the other-stuff like house chores because I want to stay a hermit. But, BALANCE if the focus. Thanks for your insight. Beth

      Delete
  3. Loved this...unless you want to look like a boiled egg! LOL I'm afraid if it weren't for the times God calls me out, I would just live in my own little world always. But no, no, don't want to look like a boiled egg... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donevy, so true! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. I guess in "egg" terms I would say we should be like scrambled; going here and there and doing for Christ. LOL Thanks Beth

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you here, Beth Ann! I smiled throughout your post because I thrive as a writing hermit. I love people and I enjoy my family/ friendships but "hermit time" is a must for me. Just ask my husband. :) Great insights...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy. I agree. I love that world of being alone with my words.
      Beth

      Delete