Friday, May 9, 2014

Life Lessons—14 Things Writers do to KEEP From Being Successful

by Edie Melson

I’ve never met a writer who didn’t want to be successful. Sure everyone’s definition of success is different, but we all want to succeed. And a lot of writer blogs offer advice on how to find that success. And while it’s vitally important to learn how to write well, network, and market. Often those aren’t the only things that stand between us and our goals.

The one thing I’ve discovered on my own writing journey is that I’m often my own worst enemy. I’m the person who has—most often—stood between me and success. So today I’m sharing 14 things that writers do to KEEP from being successful.


1. We spend too much time watching TV. There are some great television shows out there right now (Castle, Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D, Bones, are some of my favorites). And while they can provide inspiration, they can also stand between me and writing time. I have to decide which is more important, writing or watching TV.

2. We spend too much time reading about writing instead of writing. You’ve seen this one a lot on my blog lately. But the reason is that I’m running into this a lot with wannabe writers.

3. We don’t track our time online. It’s easy to lose track of time when you’re surfing the web. Social media (can anyone say Facebook?) is a big sinkhole for time. Because of this, I pay very close attention to the clock when I’m online.

4. We don’t follow a schedule. I get a lot done during my writing day, and the primary reason is that I follow a schedule. I’ve learned that it’s the best way for me to stay productive with my ADD tendencies.

5. We don’t set goals. It’s really hard to get somewhere if you don’t know where you’re going.

6.  We don’t have a plan or track our progress. Just like #5 above. If you don’t have a plan, it’s hard to tell if you’re actually making progress. Beyond that, if you’re not tracking your progress, it’s much easier to get discouraged and give up.

7. We rely too much on inspiration and motivation. Inspiration is great, but perspiration is gold. The transition from writing as a hobby to serious writing comes right here. It’s when a writer can and will put words on paper even when he doesn’t feel like it.

8. We make too many assumptions. Making assumptions is rarely a good idea, and that’s especially true in the publishing industry.

9. We aren’t willing to wait. Waiting is never fun. And patience isn’t in my arsenal of super powers. But I’ve learned how this business works and waiting is part of it. If you’re willing to wait, good things will come.

10. We don’t listen to the experts. I can’t tell you how many times someone has come to me as a freelance editor and paid me to edit a manuscript. Then, completely ignored my advice. I get that it’s our work and we’re in charge, but don’t ask my advice if you’re just going to argue with my expertise. That’s a waste of my time and your money.

11. We take the advice of EVERYONE. No this isn’t contradicting #10. Choose the people you take advice from and realize that not every piece of advice is the right thing for you.

12. We read passively. Words are our business. Don’t waste an opportunity to learn. Look at the book or article or blog you’re reading as an opportunity to improve. Why do you like it? Why did you choose that book? Don’t pass up what amounts to a free workshop when you read.

13. We don’t believe in ourselves. Ultimately my success and my failure rests with me. If I don’t believe in myself, in the calling and gift that God has given me, then no one else can help me.

14. We give up too early. This one is related to #9. When I started writing seriously, I was part of a group of women and we were all about the same level. Today, I’m one of the few left. I’m not more talented than the others, I just refused to give up. Talent will only take you so far. Success comes from pig-headed diligence.

Well this is my list of things that stand
between me and writing success. What would you add to the list?

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES


17 comments:

  1. Playing the comparison game. God created each of us as unique beings, yet we often feel like we need to measure up with someone else who is more "successful" in our eyes.

    Great post, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, absolutely! Great addition. Thanks so much for adding to the list - Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Do I get an A+ if I scored on all 14 you mentioned? LOL. Wow needed to read this today for the kick in the butt reminder. Thanks Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, it only took me minutes to come up with this list—they're all things I've struggled/struggle with! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Edie, This is so true. I am much like Jean...Every one of them fits me!!!:-) Some more-some less. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clella, thanks so much for sharing. We ALL struggle with these things - even the writers we think have already arrived! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Edie, your posts are so timely. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deboraw, I'm so glad you liked this one! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. What a timely reminder for me Edie! I have goals for my life but maybe I need to write a few for my writing. I do get up early each morning but can often become distracted by the urgent but not important. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, it's so easy to get distracted! I think that's true for writers in particular because we rely so much on the power of observation. Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Such a true post. We often forget to see these traits as set backs to the dream God placed in our hearts.

    Something to add to the list, being too critical of other writers in publishing circles. It often comes off so wrong, even if it isn't meant to be unkind. We forget that the industry isn't that big and we all need each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, that's a great addition! Thanks for the reminder, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Great list Edie. A reminder to me to take my writing more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, thank you! And thanks for taking time to comment! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. I know. I know. I'm late in raising my voice, but thank you, my friend for writing. Thank you for reminding us of the burrs in our saddle. The bucks and we wonder why. I value you, appreciate you and most importantly thank God for you......see #13 and believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate all the insight you shared! I'm in a season of my life where I'm not really sure what goals I should set. I have four small children at home and I stay home to take care of them. I'm a goal-oriented person, but sometimes that comes into conflict with the needs of my family! Any suggestions for me in this demanding season of life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, you are in the midst of a challenging time! So first, give yourself a break. None of us can do it all. That said, I recommend you set small goals. For example if your goal is to write a book, by just writing 15 minutes a day, 4-5 days a week you can finish the first draft in a full-length novel.

      I'm goal oriented and a perfectionist on top of that. So setting goals I can't reach makes me want to quit, not try harder. Break your goals into manageable bites and and enjoy the time with your kids. Make them part of the the process. You are in a rich season, be sure you're taking notes. Kids are a gold-mine of inspiration. Write down the funny things they say, the frustrations you sometimes feel, the juggling you have to do. As a writer, don't waste the moments of your life, mine your experiences and your writing will be richer than you ever imagined. Blessings, E

      Delete