Monday, April 28, 2014

Social Media Monday—Top 10 Ways to Score an EPIC FAIL with Social Media

By Edie Melson

Recently, it seems that everywhere you turn someone is offering help on how to succeed with marketing and/or social media. 

Today I’m going to turn the tables and instead of helping, I'm going to give you some social media mis-advice—my top 10 ways to score an EPIC FAIL with social media.

  • 10. Never follow anyone back when they follow you. Why would you? They aren’t nearly as interesting.
  • 9. Never answer any comments left on your blog. It’s just a waste of time to answer people who don’t know as much as you.
  • 8. Only post social media updates when the mood hits you. After all, you’re too important to be tied to a schedule and update consistently.
  • 7. Never promote anyone in your field or genre. Everyone knows you’re the expert, why would they need anyone else?
  • 6. Always plan your social media updates to show up one right after another. The more updates in a row, the more people will remember you.
  • 5. Never waste a social media update thanking someone for mentioning you. So many people are quoting you it would take far too much time to thank them all.
  • 4. Always get even with those who’ve wronged you by calling them out publicly through social networking. After all, you’re only doing everyone else a favor by letting them know the truth.
  • 3. Never repost/retweet anything unless there’s something in it for you. You’re much too important to repeat uninteresting fluff.
  • 2. Always update social media with everyday life. It’s encouraging for others to know you need to take a break and visit the restroom just like an ordinary person would.

And the number 1 way to fail spectacularly with social networking…

...Don’t bother to do it at all. Everyone knows social media is just a fad.

Do you have any tips to add? Inquiring minds want to know!

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,

Edie

TWEETABLES




11 comments:

  1. Great post, Edie. #9 is one of my pet peeves. My two cents: when a commenter takes the time to leave a comment it's just "good business" to reply back--even a little thanks or greeting goes a long way. I see blogging & any other social media forum as hosting a party. The guests (commenters, Followers, Like-ers, etc.) are the guests that show up to the party. One can't have a party unless there are guests and interacting, right? Why ignore them, then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, you are so right! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts - Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Andrea, thanks for the support - and especially for taking time to comment! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Gulp. Another reminder that I've got to get a better handle on social media. Even though the reasons aren't necessarily the cause of my failure, some of the actions or INactions hit me right between the eyes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonda, I hate it when that happens - and it happens to us all! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I hate to be number one on this type of list, but....
    It's not that I think it's a fad, it's just, ok, I don't have a good reason for not being active on social media. Thanks for the push! I'm signing up for pinterest today. And I may even update my facebook! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, be sure you're doing the basics before you add other aspects of social media to your routine. And take it one step at a time. Trying to do everything at once is a proven recipe for failure. I'm here to help, if you need it. Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Question Edie

    When I receive an e-mail that someone's retweeted or favorite something of mine, I've tried am I doing wrong? How do I thank them if the response doesn't get delivered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, the email is a notification, a reminder to go to Twitter and thank them directly. Don't try to use email to reply, it only works about half the time. I go to Hootsuite and rly or thank them from there. I hope this helps, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Blessings to you as well, Edie. I am a high encouragement needer. LOL Your posts are great.

    ReplyDelete