Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Top 10 Favorite Writing Quotes

by Edie Melson

I love quotes about writing.
I love quotes about writing. So today I thought I’d share my top 10 favorite writing quotes with you.

10. It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly.

- C. J. Cherryh

9. It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way.

- Ernest Hemingway

8. I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose.

- Stephen King


Prose is architecture...
7. Prose is architecture, not interior decoration.

- Ernest Hemingway

6. I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

- Douglas Adams

5. Poetry creates the myth, the prose writer draws its portrait.

- Jean-Paul Sartre

4. Easy reading is damn hard writing.
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

3. The road to hell is paved with adverbs.
- Stephen King

2. We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
- Ernest Hemingway

1. I write for the same reason I breathe—because if I didn't, I would die.
- Isaac Asimov

Now it’s your turn. I’d love for you to share some of your favorite quotes. Be sure to leave them in the comments section below.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie



18 comments:

  1. All first drafts are s***. - Stephen King

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Hemingway and Anne Lamott in various forms. Although I don't care for the last words, the concept is very freeing. :)

      Delete
  2. I write to find out who I am. -Cec Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Write the book you want to read.

    (Don't know who said it, but I agree with it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, think you're referring to one of 3 quotes, one from from Madeline L'Engle: “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” or the one from Carol Shields, “Write the book you want to read, the one you cannot find.” or the one from Toni Morrison, “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” I love all these quotes!

      Delete
  4. “Murder your darlings. ” F. Scott Fitzgerald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Robin, such hard advice but sooooooo important!

      Delete
    2. Actually, that's Sir Arthur Quiller Couch who said Murder your darlings. The film about Allen Ginsburg uses it as a title.

      Delete
  5. "Story telling is a gift from God ... with some assembly required."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard this one before - I'm adding it to my list!

      Delete
  6. "I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure, which is: Try to please everybody.' That's probably the most useful thing you can learn about writing. Herbert Bayard Swope

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edie,
    I always liked this one:

    Carl Sagan said: "What an astonishing thing a book is. It is a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts, on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you're inside the mind of another person. [...] Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. Books are proof that humans are capable of working magic."

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the writing quotes you shared. Here are 2 more.

    “One clear, true voice can, change things for the better…” from How To Write and Give A Speech Joan Detz

    “Editing is painful, because for the sake of great writing, it often demands doing away with perfectly good writing.” Noah Lukeman The First Five Pages

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing poetry is listening in the spirit and letting God arrange the words. You have to loose control and let your soul speak in rhyme and reason letting God sing to your heart. Brad Mcgill

    ReplyDelete