Tuesday, February 25, 2014

At a Loss for Words? 7 Tips to Help You Find Blog Post Ideas

by Edie Melson

It happens to us all. It’s the night before a blog post is due and we have no idea what to write about. It seems like all our creative juices have run dry. 

Do we just bail and skip that post, or is there something constructive that can bail us out? 

Don’t panic. There are some specific things you can do and places you can look to find, not just something to fill in with, but something truly creative to blog about.

  • First, look no farther than your last blog post, or more specifically, the comments your last post brought out. Your subscribers and readers are your best source of inspiration. Their questions and comments can spur you on to ideas you’d never consider otherwise.
  • Second, take a look at the blogs you follow. What are some of the questions you’ve asked your favorite bloggers? Just because you don’t know the answer, doesn’t mean you can’t right about it. Trust me, the best way to learn something is by researching it well enough that you can write about it.
  • Third, investigate Facebook and Twitter. Do you see any trends, or notice a subject everyone is talking about? There’s a blog post in there!
  • Fourth, have you recently solved a problem that has to do with your blog’s topic? Don’t be stingy, share your secret with the rest of us. If you had an issue or challenge with something, chances are you aren’t the only one.
  • Fifth, notice what day it is. Not just the day of the week, but the month. Did you know that today, February 25, is Chocolate Covered Peanuts day? Also, in the same vein, what season is it? Right now it’s winter, but spring is just around the corner. 
  • Seventh, post a question or a rant about something that truly irritates you. Just remember to keep it relevant and don’t let it slip into any hint of a personal attack. 

The point of your blog is to open up the lines of communication—to get the conversation going.

 So now it’s your turn, have you ever been at a loss for something to post? What was your solution?


Don’t forget to join the conversation!

Blessings,


Edie

TWEETABLES

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tips. As a beginning blogger, I suffer from this ailment too much. I will keep your list handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I'm glad they're helpful! Thanks for dropping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Edie! After 5 years of blogging, it's still a struggle to find fresh ideas. I want what I share to be worth a visit as it's an investment of our most precious commodity -- time.

    You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I don't think we'll ever have arrived! Thanks so much for chiming in! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. That's me all over. I plan and plan which topics I want to cover for each day of the week, but life interferes. I vowed not to use my writing time as blogging time, so if I don't have anything ready by 7pm the night before, nothing gets posted. Maybe I should relax and not try so hard to stick to topics. Thanks for more great advice, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Questions help! Ask yourself a question as a starter. It can take off from that point. When I have to write a devotional I always ask a question about the scripture or the story I plan to use. God takes me from there. That doesn't mean I don't get stuck at times or feel empty . . . if I move a way from it for a short time or move onto something else a light usually dawns.

    ReplyDelete