Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tips to Adjust Your Writing Schedule and Enjoy the Holidays!

by Edie Melson

The holidays can be a stressful time for anyone. But for those of us who work from home, the juggling act can be a minefield of unreasonable expectations and disappointments. And turning off your computer for a month and half isn't the answer. It's hard to restart a productive routine after taking a month off.

Today I want to share some tips to adjust your writing schedule and enjoy the holidays.

Observe. Refill your imagination tank. When you’re at a Christmas party or the mall, take a small notepad and notice something interesting about everyone there. Maybe it’s a small quirk (like a woman who constantly tucks her hair behind her ear or a new turn of phrase – like Oh for Crying in the Sink. I thought I’d die the first time I heard Susie say that)

Set small goals. I struggle with my weight because I love to eat – especially baked goods. Now I have a rule for every Christmas treat I eat, like a cookie, I’m going to write 250 words first. Or Finish a blog post, or write a portion of a devotions. Something productive. I learned this one from a  friend of mine, Lynn Blackburn

And on this, rethink your blogging schedule. Maybe you should reduce the number of posts you put up during the holidays. Truthfully it won’t hurt your presence because people have less time to read blogs during December.

Use the buddy system. I have several writer friends with whom I have a standing agreement. Anytime I’m in a jam for a blog post, I’m welcome to steal something they’ve written on their sites.

Catch up on your reading. Visit those blogs you’ve been meaning to read. Find a book on craft and read it. There’s lots of waiting that goes on during the holidays, use it.

You can also use this time to read books in your genre and/or hang out on Goodreads making a to-be-read list for next year.

Rest. Set realistic goals and give yourself a pass on pounding out thousands of words on your WIP. Enjoy your family and friends. You’ll be fresher and stronger when the New Year rolls around.

Now I'd love to hear from you. What are some things you do to readjust your schedule and enjoy the holidays?

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings
Edie

Tweetables


5 comments:

  1. I finish my blog posts for December early and schedule them all in advance. Then I just have to check for comments and giveaways. Works for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Edie! I am praying about a writing buddy. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to write 250 words for every cookie I ate, I'd double the NaNoWriMo requirements!

    I keep a box of Christmas cards handy, and write out a few when I have a short break. It doesn't stress me out as much as doing a Christmas card writing marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd forgotten about that tip. Maybe I should take my own advice :-). But I especially like the idea of paying attention to quirks and sayings. With all the parties and events, there should be a lot of opportunities to fill the tank!

    ReplyDelete