Sunday, August 18, 2013

Weekend Worship—Prepartion


Right now you have plenty and can help those who are in need. Later, they will have plenty and can share with you when you need it. In this way, things will be equal. II Corinthians 8:14

This past week I had the opportunity to spend a good bit of time on airplanes. And the one thing they all had in common (except NEVER being on time) was the spiel flight attendants give before each flight takes off.

As I sat trying to appear like I was listening for the fourth time in two days, the lady sitting next to me spoke to me in a low voice. “That makes no sense at all.”

When I looked up to see what set her off I saw the oxygen mask dangling from the stewardess’s hand.

“If I was traveling with a child or someone who needed help I’d put their mask on first.”

I smiled again and returned to my magazine, but my thoughts were on the instructions and possible scenarios. At first thought, my seat mate’s opinion seemed unselfish and even vaguely Christ-like. But the longer I considered the instructions the more I began to see how that wisdom was rooted in truth—spiritual truth.

It is not possible to share something I don’t possess.

I have to make sure I to breathe deep, and make sure I'm filled with God's Spirit so I can live out what God has for me.

5 comments:

  1. Very true, Edie. As writers we often forget to replenish ourselves spiritually in order to minister to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nailed it again, Edie.
    Significant truth -- and so simple it is often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone's first thought, but you need oxygen to care for those around you. A child might not be able to come to your aid. Sorry your planes were delayed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I never would've thought of that, Edie. But it's so true. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this post very interesting. With almost a 1000 parachute jumps I hate to admit, I am scared of flying. The last time I flew was in January of 2004, because my wife and daughters would not drive me home from the hospital in Baltimore to Indiana in a blizzard. We tend to ignore emergency instructions till it is to late. The people in the Twin Towers on 9/11 discovered this suddenly. Some had to make fateful decisions, jump or burn. Those who had already committed their lives to the Lord were okay. Regardless of what happened. Having been at the site of four plane crashes in my life. I may be biased, but I do know it can all be over in the twinkling of an eye. I have lived a long life and I am sad to say I agree with the lady and would share the mask, while praying I had time to get mine on. That young person might be the sole survivor like at the plane crash in Detroit years ago. Everybody died but one child. I would rather die giving someone a chance to know God, than live knowing I cost a life. Sorry but it was a deep question.

    ReplyDelete