Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Budgeting Your Time at a Conference

By Laurie Epps

The first big writers conference is overwhelming for most of us. It was for me too. Though I was so excited about all that I'd be learning and the contacts I'd make, I still arrived, and as you learned at my last post, I got lost right way. 

Because it can be so overwhelming, it helps to remember why you decided to come in the first place, and pace yourself. You may have a commando approach like I did, where you just want to dig in, and learn as much as possible, but allowing for mental breaks will best optimize your time.




To get started right, take time to look at the conference website and get a layout of things in your mind. That overview will give you flexibility, especially if you connect with what a keynote speaker has to say and you decide, at the last minute, to take their class.

When I went to the Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference last month, I had selected my classes at least twice for every time period. However, the first night, there was an faculty introduction time, and some of my class selections were thrown out based on the presentations by the speakers.


I took a picture of a sample page from the Blue Ridge conference to give you an idea of what can be in store for you when you get to the conference. (Not all conferences are this large, but there will always be choices you have to make.) See all the little boxes? Each one is a different class.... that's a lot of choices. To be exact, there are 24 class choices per class hour, and three classes per day for a total of 72 different class offerings per day.

Every day, there are two large group sessions, three meals, and three classes. If you attended everything, you'd start out at 7:15 am and go until 9 pm at night. That makes for a long day.

As for me, I went to every single class period, but you're not obligated to do that. Many of us are there using our vacation time. Just allow yourself to go with the flow, and try to narrow down your classes before you get there, but don't lock yourself into a set regime. It's okay to skip a class, enjoy the scenery, take a nap or cut out early to get ready for the banquet. No one is keeping score. No matter what, you'll be glad you went. I know I'm so glad  I had the good fortune to attend.

Do you have a tip on how to navigate the gauntlet of classes at a conference? Please share your comments with us below. Join the conversation. The Write Conversation.



Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell their many stories. To read more of Laurie's stories visit her Monday Morning Book Club column dedicated to writers everywhere, or her Thoughtful Thursday column dedicated to the art of Poetry at: http://1writerlaurieepps.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. You pretty much nailed it Laurie. I had my classes all picked the first year and ended up dumping many of them based on the speakers just as you did. I thought this year I had it all figured out, but still made a lot of changes, but this year I think I got a lot more out the conference. I used to teach skydiving and we always said first jump students were like sheep going to the slaughter, fat dumb and happy. The second jump they knew what to expect. I think our first conference is something we just need to experience and enjoy. Lord willing we will return and have a much better understanding of what we want to get from the conference. I also taught my skydiving students, "The only dumb question, is the one you do not ask." In skydiving it may save your life, in writing it may save you tons of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the great analogy! I have to confess that I did the commando approach as well, but next year, I'll embrace the class that is not booked and yield the reflective possibilities. Thanks for stopping by.

      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete
  2. I'd love to attend one of those conferences and give myself permission to take more breaks. You've planted the seed, Laurie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally they're held at truly beautiful locations, so why not let it speak to the muse within. Thanks for stopping by.

      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete
  3. Great post, Laurie. The only thing I'd add is to be open to the unexpected things God has in store through spur of the moment decisions, deviating from your usual path to class, eating at a table you weren't planning to sit at...you never know what you'll discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Sandy. At lunch, I met a woman who I think is going to change my life forever. I attended her class with her and stayed after class for an hour and a half. She poured herself over my portfolio, and offered up the most encouraging words I've ever had as a writer. After I got home, the girl that sat next to in my marketing class offered me an internship as well. There were so many opportunities that spun from that one conference that I recommend everyone go.

      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete