Sunday, February 10, 2013

Weekend Worship—Irrational Fear


“Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.” Matthew 10:26

It was our first night in Disney World as husband and wife. There was hardly a more magical place on earth to spend our honeymoon, yet I had just awakened with one of the worst nightmares ever. 

I shook my husband of two nights awake and began to babble hysterically about an ax murderer whom I was certain had gotten into our cabin. The more he tried to reason with me, the more inconsolable I became. It was only after he physically got out of bed and checked all the doors and windows that I began to calm down and realize how ridiculous I’d been.

As I look back thirty plus years on the woman I’d been it’s easy to shake my head over the irrational behavior. I mean I’m much more mature now, able to look at any and all situations with calm, logical eyes, and sound judgment.

Don’t I wish…

Truthfully, I can still find myself as trapped by the irrational as ever. But just like my patient husband so many years ago, God is always there to hold and comfort me. He leads me to the solid ground of sound judgment just as patiently as Kirk did. God is always close, no matter how dark the night or scary the situation.


11 comments:

  1. Ok...once again, you have entered into my brain. I needed this today. Love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reminder of His power, goodness, and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, like Jamie, I also needed this today as I'm crossing what appears to be a desert patch in life--full of not huge problems but a bunch of little ones that are piling up too fast. Giving my angst to God, I will not allow a sense of being overwhelmed into my life :) Thanks, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is the One who we can turn to whether our fears are reasonable or not. Just as parents calm and comfort their children in their fears, so God does for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to chuckle at "Don't I wish . . ." I have overcome many fears of the years only to have them replaced by new ones. So glad God is bigger than all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On of the things I've learned to do when fear seems to be winning: Start with A-Almighty...B-Beloved...C-Creator...D-my Deliverer...go through to Z-He is Zealous for me...helps to say this aloud, but doesn't have to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, that is so cool! I've never heard of that. I'm going to definitely use it. Thanks so much for sharing! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. I like this also, Pat. It might work at 3 in the morning.

      Thanks for the post, Edie.

      Delete
    3. Great idea! I often pray A-Z for persons and/or situations as God brings them to my mind. Focusing on others redirects my thoughts to His power.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for reminding me of who's in charge!

    ReplyDelete