Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My First Exposure to the Horror of Domestic Violence


Most of you know my best friend and her daughter, Jennifer and Abby Blagg, were murdered by her husband in 2001. Tonight, the documentary filmed in March will air with part of my story from that time. I hope you'll tune in, we all need to be more aware of the often silent destroyer of families that is domestic violence.

The show is The Devil You Know, it airs on Investigate Discovery Channel (ID Channel) at 10pm TONIGHT. The episode is called, Twisted Faith.


For more information here's the Facebook Page of The Devil You Know.

It was hard to share my story on camera. But the film company, Make Believe Media, made the process  as painless as possible. The crew that came was caring, sensitive and truly interested in getting to know Jennifer. They have a difficult job, coming into people's lives to expose the hardest of times. But they do it well and with compassion. My thanks to each of them!

I shared part of the process in a blog post several months ago, When No Becomes Yes.

The episode airing tonight in the USA is a thirty-minute version of the hour-long documentary. The hour-long version has already aired in New Zealand, Australia, and Canada. It's been humbling and amazing to hear from folks there who've contacted me because of the story. It's also comforting to see God continues to use a tragedy and bring good out of a horrible situation.



I know not everyone has this channel, but I'd appreciate it if you'd spread the word.

Blessings to you all!
Edie

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your most painful time and memory. I am a survivor of domestic violence and I know how hard it is for you to share your friend's memory and what happened. I am involved with the "Paint it Purple" blog carnival where bloggers share their stories.
    http://paintitpurple.thepixelproject.net/about/get-on-board/paint-your-blog-purple/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, thank you for sharing your comment and leaving the link to the Paint it Purple blog carnival! What a great resource for those of us who are committed to bringing awareness to this problem. Thank you too, for sharing your experience. Blessings, Edie

      Delete
  2. God reaches others through our painful experiences. May He bless you and the work you are doing to raise awareness of domestic violence. I don't think we get that channel but I'll sure spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, thank you! We're having to go to my parents to watch tonight's show. We don't get that channel either. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Edie, I can't imagine the pain you feel from the horrible loss of your friend and her daughter. Thank you for sharing the story so that other eyes will be opened to the reality of domestic violence. I'm not sure we can get the channel, but i'll pass the word along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, thank you for sharing this and for your encouragement! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Edie, thank you so much for walking through the pain to share this story with the world. People need to realize that domestic violence is real, and our churches have far more couples in a domestic violence marriage than they care to admit. God bless you, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, you are so right. Thank you for what you do to bring awareness to this issue as well. Blessings, My Friend, Edie

      Delete
  5. My first job after was with a shelter for abused women. I watched some woman who had gotten away going time after time and many precious woman were killed. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, it's heart rending to watch and not be able to do anything. Thank you for stopping by, Blessings, Edie

      Delete
  6. Thanks for being their voice, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think we have that channel. Checking now. If not, will it be online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I don't know if it will be online or not. I'm still trying to find out. Thanks so much for your support! Blessings, Edie

      Delete
  8. Edie, I missed this post, so I missed the documentary. But I don't think I get the channel either. Is there another way we can view it? DVD? Also, how's the book coming along?

    ReplyDelete