Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Truth About the Size of Our Prayer Requests


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

“The Lord your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy. Zephaniah 3:17

For many years, I prayed and spoke to God from behind a wall of misapprehension. I used to categorize my requests to God into two lists. Those that were big things and those that were small things.
I tried to only bother Him with the big things. When I shared my prayer requests with others, I was careful not to bring up requests that I’d decided were minor.

I knew that nothing was too big for God, and I’d even share that thought with others who were struggling. And while this is an absolute truth, it leaves out so much. Then one day I had an epiphany.

With God, no matter how big the request, it’s still small to Him. 

That bit of revelation took me a few days to process. But as the truth of it permeated, so did the freedom that came with it. My attempt to differentiate between big and small, hard and easy, was artificial. It was a barrier that I had invented and erected between us. Since everything is small to Him, there really is nothing that I can’t share with Him.

The truth is that God cares about everything that I care about. I am His child, precious to Him. So I’ve given up categorizing my requests and worries, and I’m just taking everything to Him.

18 comments:

  1. A wonderful and timely reminder, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "everything" resonated with me. I tend to bring matters of spiritual things and people to Him, but not things that were important to me but didn't pertain to ministry. I won't do that anymore. Thank you, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, it’s easy for me to categorize my prayers. When I get in that rut, I can al,ost hear the Holy Spirit say, “Stop that!” Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the 'small' answers impact me more because it shows His extreme awareness of everything about my life. Good lesson, good reminder! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, that’s a GREAT perspective! Thanks for sharing! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Amen Ms. Edie! My belief is that the size of the prayer is directly related to the faith in which we pray with. If we pray with urgency, zeal, and the truth of God's word behind our prayers, I believe God listens more intently. All requests are important, but how I pray is more important to me than what I pray. Hope that makes sense. Sometimes even writers struggle to find the right words. I know these are right... My prayers for God's blessings upon you and your family sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I do think scripture tells us clearly that we are to pray with faith. But I also know that some of my weakest prayers have been answered in powerful ways. I do know what you’re saying. But I have to be careful and not begin to rely on my power to influence God to answer my prayers. Because none of the power rests in me. I don’t mean that as a disagreement with what you said—I’m a writer struggling to convey an idea too! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. In our weakness is when God's power is displayed the most I think Ms. Edie. No disagreement here at at all ma'am. You're always a blessing. You're absolutely right though; it
      it's what God does, not what we try and do.

      Delete
  5. I feel bad bringing trivial or small concerns to God. Your post changed my perspective. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrate, I’ve been there too! Thanks for sharing your own journey! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. A beautiful reminder how God sees our needs. He's concerned about ALL our issues and tells us to give them to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. thank you, dear Edie. i have several HUGE things that are overwhelming to me right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, thank you for your transparency. I’ll be praying and I know others will be too! Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. Amen, sister! Thank you for reminding us of that significant truth. I retweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found this via Christian Writer/ Reader Connection. I really don't know how I missed it. This reminder is so refreshing. Thank you, Edie for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete