Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Craft and Art of Being a Writer

by Edie Melson

So many of us agonize over the fact that our words aren't beautiful when we first put them on paper. Some even go so far as to interpret that lack as a a sign from God. They sigh and mope and finally shrug their shoulders. "Perhaps I was never supposed to be a writer." To which I say, "Poppycock!"



Books aren't written—they're rewritten. Michael Crichton

Writing is more than just stringing words together in an attempt to convey an idea. It’s a craft learned and practiced. Some would say that the true artists of wordsmithing write so well that the end result looks effortless. This ease and natural style of writing doesn’t come from something they’re born with. It comes from years of hard work and dedication. There are no short cuts in the world of writing.


A professional writer is an amatuer who didn't quit. Richard Bach

There are two parts to writing, the craft and the artistry. It's up to us as the author to intertwine the craft with the creative and find the balance that touches the souls of others. Do this and you will discover your voice and your connection to the stories hidden within yourself.


Easy reading is damn hard writing. Nathaniel Hawthorne


What are some of your favorite quotes? Share them with us and . . .



Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,

Edie

Tweetables


8 comments:

  1. Amen.
    I had to laugh, because one of my typo's actually ended up being profound. I was doing marriage material, and was quoting the intention of vows ... "Until death do you part." Instead I typed, "Until death do your part." My proofreader caught it but quipped... "Perhaps this is more accurate!" It is! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, that is good - and would make a good social media update. You could quote the typo and ask for people to weigh in with opinions. Thanks for sharing! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I often write my first draft long-hand with a mechanical pencil in my WORST handwriting. It's like a secret code only I can decipher. I don't want anyone reading my putrid mush with no life, so it's best done "in code." That's usually my building of the skeleton. Later I add the muscle and soft tissue, then the skin, hair eyes, etc. I don't build a story from beginning to end. I build it layer upon layer. I used to worry that my first attempts were bad. Now I just see them as part of the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I love that! Thanks so much for sharing your process, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I love this post! "It's up to us as the author to intertwine the craft with the creative and find the balance that touches the souls of others." Beautiful! I will tuck this one away. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, I'm glad it struck a chord. Thanks so much for the encouragement and for taking time to stop by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Good thoughts, Edie. Here's an anonymous quote I ran across: "The test of a first-rate work is that you finish it." Reminds me of 2 Timothy 4:7 and this Author I do know: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course..." In my writing journey I have certainly finished a lot of "courses." Yes, amen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a book inside of me and I desperately want to have it published but oh where to start. I write a daily devotion and send it to over 60 women each morning. Folks around me are telling me to write a book but I have no direction. I don't even know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete