Monday, October 14, 2013

Social Media Monday—A Workout Plan to Keep Your Social Media Life in Shape


Last week I shared How to Put Your Blog on a Diet. Today I’m going to give you a workout plan to keep your social media life in shape. To stay efficient at social media we’ve got to be lean. After all our goal is a writing life, not a marketing one.

To work efficiently online takes training and discipline. 


Exercises
Sit Ups: This is the one where you sit up and take notice of what’s going on around your digital neighborhood.

Strength Training: Where do you have the most followers and friends? That’s where you need to invest the majority of your time. For me, that’s twitter. I have over 12,000 Twitter followers, so I make sure my interactions on that platform stay fresh and current. I also spend time on Facebook, but not as much because I don’t have as strong a presence there.

Push Ups: Make it a practice to push up your numbers. Spend a short time each day adding new friends and followers on social media. The best way to do this (actually the only way I recommend)? Be a friend to have a friend.

Hurdles: Look at the obstacles ahead of you. If you're struggling with something take a run at it. Learn a new skill to keep your social media on track and moving forward.

Sprints: Keep watch on the amount of time you spend on social media. Don’t go over that 30 minute a day threshold. Don’t forget the law of diminishing returns

Endurance Training: Remember this thing called social media takes time—it’s a marathon. Take small consistent steps and you’ll find success every time.

Cardio: Make sure you follow your heart and your passion. Share things that mean something to you, and you'll be valuable to those who follow you.

Now it’s your turn, what exercise would you add to my workout routine?

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,

12 comments:

  1. I'd say be a team player. Respond to blog posts (like this one) and retweet, repost on fb, and engage in the conversation. I've picked up quite a few followers just because I replied to a blog post or retweeted a helpful link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, that's a great analogy! Social Media is DEFINITELY a team sport. Thanks so much for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Great post, Edie. I am trying to get into this social media thingy and it's easy to spend waaaay too much time on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to work smarter, not harder. it's simple, but not easy. Hang in there! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I'm loving these articles, Edie. I don't have as much of a problem with getting into social media as I do with the discipline of getting OFFLINE! Your tips are making me focus my efforts. I don't have an exercise to add, but I liked Ron Estrada's idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marji, I think your social media workout is right on track! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Fabulous! Thanks, Edie, for the pep talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in and for all your support! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post - I so need the social media encouragement. My problem is that I don't like to spend time doing it but your 30 minute suggestion is doable. So I'd say "Gear up" is where my routine needs to start. I also dislike exercising but it's a non-negotiable and that begins with me putting on the darn tennis shoes and turning on my treadmill. Thanks again...now off to lace up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, I'm with you on the exercise. I absolutely hate it. But it's non-negotiable. Thanks for stopping by and I love the 'gear up' addition! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Great post, Edie! Your analogies always make me think and reach for the share buttons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edie, thank you, this is some great advice. I am going to take your advice and be better about setting time limits, while also being smarter about using that time.

    ReplyDelete