Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Google’s New Hummingbird Algorithm Update—Good News or Bad?


Is Google's Hummingbird Update Good News or Bad?
It's happened again, Google has rolled out yet another SEO update. People are wary when Google announces a new change in their search engine algorithm. Many have gotten caught in the Panda and Penguin updates with disastrous results. But with Google’s new hummingbird algorithm update we get some good news for a change!

If you’re a little behind and not sure what I’m talking about, here’s a blog post that explains SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and What Google Has Done

Now, back to Hummingbird.

Let me give you a little background information. In the past, since the invention of search engines, we’ve been trained about how to phrase our queries. For instance, this would be something I’d type in if I wanted to know about Hummingbird:

Google's Hummingbird Update
Google's Hummingbird Update
That’s all well and good, if I’m at the computer with a reasonable keyboard. But more and more I’m trying to type in queries on an infinitesimal mobile keyboard. The answer to that has been Siri (on iPhone) and other voice query software on Android.

That has changed how we search for things on Google.

When I speak to Siri, I can’t help but ask a question, instead of making a statement. Here’s what my request for the same information looks like when I speak it out loud:

What can you tell me about Google's Hummingbird Update?
What can you tell me about Google’s Hummingbird Update?
That, in a nutshell is what the Hummingbird update addresses. It changes the search parameters so that someone can speak a request for information, and still get valuable responses.

How does that affect you as a blogger? Assuming you compose reasonable headlines that reflect informative blog posts, this is a VERY good thing. So for once, an update doesn’t mean you need to change what you’re doing, just keep doing it.

Now I’d like to open the floor (or in this case, comments section) for any SEO question you may have. Leave your questions below and remember all comments are moderated so I’ll be approving comments as quick as I can.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

Tweetables:


7 comments:

  1. So glad you keep up with things for us. Thanks, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonda and Heidi, I do try to keep up so you all don't have to! Blessings, E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, appreciate your straightforward explanations to this Internet jargon that we are bombarded with. You are my go-to-girl for all things bloggy, Edie! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where's my EASY button? Thanks, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edie - Great point with regard bloggers not having to change anything. Blogs provide information to answer people's questions. I.e. They provide knowledge. This is the key. Google is moving from a search engine to a knowledge engine. SEO wise people need to think about the product buying cycle. What questions will customers and potential customers have at every level. This should define the content people have on their sites and the information they are trying to provide offsite. This good news in my opinion the focus is going away from thinking about how people satisfy a search engine toward how people provide content that solves people's problems.

    ReplyDelete