Sunday, September 1, 2013

Weekend Worship—Good Courage


But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. I Timothy 6:11

We were singing an old hymn in church and one phrase in the chorus caught my attention, Good Courage. I’ve heard that all my life, but it struck me today as I watched the words flash across the screen, and I began to think about what it meant.

Is there such a thing as bad courage?

I mean the very word, courage, brings to mind admirable qualities of standing firm no matter the odds. But is that always what God wants us to do? So I did a little digging into my Bible and came up with this answer…it depends.


There are definitely times when we are to walk away. Even Jesus walked away, metaphorically speaking, when Satan tempted him to throw Himself off the temple heights and watch the angels come to his rescue.

So how does all this apply to my writing life? It applies to my focus. I’ve been fortunate to have many opportunities come my way. Lots of them worthwhile projects working with great people.

But the truth is, I can’t do everything. If I try, I won’t accomplish anything. (Oh the pain of that particular lesson learned!)

So I’ve had to learn to have the courage to walk away. I’ve had to trust that God will provide the things He’s told me He would. And even if they’ve not yet appeared, it’s not a reason to stray from the path He’s shown me.

What do you need to walk away from?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Edie. This reminds me of my need to walk with Him in order to discern what to walk away from. Otherwise, the line between good and the best becomes blurred and I'm easily confused. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I have to give some thought to. I can think of a few things and people but I agree with Elizabeth. I have to walk more with him in rder to discern what to walk away from. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to walk away from the "easy" things I want to do and trust him with the hard things that prevent me from reaching my goals.

    ReplyDelete