Sunday, August 11, 2013

Weekend Worship—Only Still Water Reflects


He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10

What a great vacation we’ve had, spending an entire seven days at the beach. We've had time to take long walks, search for shells and watch the birds. But I have to say, the hours we've spent lounging in our beach chairs—feet in the sand, has been my favorite part.

It’s also been a time when God has spoken to my soul, reminding me of some basic truths.


One late afternoon, the blue sky mirrored the dusky blue of the ocean and the tide began to turn. As the encroaching waves washed over my feet, I noticed something cool. When each wave receded, in its wake was left a a shallow film of water. It was so clear and so calm I could see my face. This image was erased and replaced over and over again as rushing waves crashed upon the shore.

Like an oft repeated saying, the truth of this visual lesson began to penetrate.

God was reminding me that when I get busy, rushing from thing to thing, it becomes harder and harder for my life to clearly reflect Christ. But when I slow down, living by His rhythm, His image is visible in all aspects of my life.

Where do you find yourself right now? Caught in the pounding surf or taking time to refresh yourself in the calm waters that reflect the light of His Spirit?

10 comments:

  1. Thank you, Edie. After a sleepless night--pounding surf keeping me awake--I appreciated your words, leading me to a place of standing still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WIth the recent news that we will be moving in two months, my life has taken a dive into a whirlwind of activity. My hope is to find a calm in the center of the storm where I can sit and let Jesus hold me and whisper truths in my ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wisdom here, Edie. And God is repeating this truth to me in so many different ways ... I'm listening ... and seeking ways to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Edie. Beautiful analogy. So much truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest for the soul in your words today. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been in the pounding waves. This really spoke to me. Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the analogy. We need to take time, to make time, for God in our lives. Some of us are so busy pursuing God, we don't have time, to enjoy his presence in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I live near the ocean, this is the perfect post to remind me to calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete