From Edie: Discover how writers can recognize unexpected opportunities, embrace creative detours, and find joy and growth along the writing journey.
by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites
Snacks? Check.
Extra diaper and wipes? Check.
Juice cup? Check.
Small, easy-to-lose-but-favorite toys? Check.
Stroller? Check.
We ventured outside for what I assumed would be a quick trip to the playground. Instead, Little Miss Independent decided we’d head down the greenway trail.
I thought she’d want to throw rocks in the pond, but she surprised me with a firm “No.”
The dog park briefly held her attention, but she soon grew bored, so we rolled on. Unintelligible gibberish, squirming, and finger pointing let me know Danae wanted to stop at the exercise pad. It was a quiet spot, and shady, so seemed a good place to stop, although I knew the place wouldn’t hold her attention for long.
Boy, was I surprised. Her toys, bear, owl, frog, fox, rabbit, and squirrel, jumped and flew and tumbled from one step-up platform to another. They took naps, woke up, and chattered. They pretended to eat real acorns and splashed in a teensy-tiny puddle left from yesterday’s drizzle.
Danae held onto one pair of exercise rings and spun another pair. She weaved through rungs and walked along edges.
“Snacks? Juice?”
Apparently, it was time for a picnic.
“Shoes. Off.”
A barefoot picnic.
Danae consumed goldfish, cereal, raisins, and juice, then asked for an apple. “I’m sorry sweetie. Grandmommy didn’t bring an apple this time, but I’ll give you one when we get home.”
She settled for a graham cracker, but soon turned her soggy cracker into chalk and created art on the blue pad.
More than an hour later, it was time to head home.
We passed the dog park, pond, and playground. Danae watched a real squirrel and looked for birds and deer. Exhausted from our adventure, she settled in for a nap shortly after munching the apple I’d promised. Toddlers never forget promises.
Later, relaxing with my feet propped up, I thought about our adventure.
As little ones do so well, Danae had taken the path least expected and turned it into an adventure. The same happens on my writing path. Sometimes the small assignments I accept – maybe a last-minute project or an unpaid one – often spark the greatest adventure. The seemingly least-interesting tasks of my writing journey – answering emails or doing research – can become a project I enjoy for hours.
Maybe it’s not the glittery, colorful setting of a playground – a book project – or a vast, enticing body of water – a large publishing house – or even an exciting, noisy dog park – an invitation from a well-known podcaster. My journey might take me on a different byway. Another spot on the writing trek. An adventure I’d have overlooked if I wasn’t mindful of the possibilities.
Danae’s walk reminded me to keep an open mind. Get creative. And go prepared. Bring snacks and juice for nourishment, toys for fun, and an endless imagination. Best of all, enjoy the journey.
TWEETABLE


Love this encouragement! Writing with childlike faith.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading, my friend! Yes! May we all keep that childlike faith in our writing journey.
Delete