Wednesday, August 12, 2026

When Writers Feel Overlooked: Why Faithfulness Matters More Than Recognition

From Edie: Heidi McGill helps writers discover why faithfulness matters more than recognition, rankings, followers, or success—and what God truly values.


When Writers Feel Overlooked: Why Faithfulness Matters More Than Recognition
by Heidi Gray McGill @HeidiGrayMcGill

Your metrics do not impress God. He is looking at something else entirely.

I am a connector. It is not on the spiritual gifts list, but it is mine as surely as any gift I can name. In the business world, I delegated, spotting where people shone and matched them to work that fit. In the author world, I am both the boss and the employee, so delegation is mostly off the table. But connecting? That I can still do.

A friend started a VA business, and I immediately thought of three authors who would be a perfect fit for her style. A promo crossed my feed, and I forwarded it to several acquaintances writing in that genre. It thrilled them because the post had never reached them. A friend needed a critique partner, and since that is absolutely not my giftedness, I put her in touch with another author who needed the same thing. They work together regularly now.

So when I had an exceptionally busy month and missed three promos in my genre that featured several of those same authors, and not one of them had thought to return the favor, it stung. Nobody had reached out. Nobody had sent me the memo. And I had to sit with an uncomfortable question. Was I connecting because it is who I am, or because I expected something in return?

The Boy Who Wasn’t in the Room

In 1 Samuel 16, God sent Samuel to the family of Jesse to anoint the next king of Israel. Jesse lined up his sons one by one. Each looked the part. Samuel gave none of them a second glance. Finally he asked if there were any others, and Jesse mentioned, almost as an afterthought, that the youngest was out tending sheep.

David was not in the room. He was not positioning himself for recognition or making sure the right people knew his name. He was doing invisible work with no audience and no guarantee it was leading anywhere. And God had already chosen him.

Verse 7 holds the key. Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart. The brothers who showed up for the lineup, impressive and present and ready to be seen, did not earn a second look. The one doing unglamorous work in an empty field was God’s choice all along.

The Metrics Writers Chase

The writing world has no shortage of visible measurements. Follower counts, review numbers, promo invitations, conference lineups. These are not meaningless, but they are dangerously easy to mistake for the actual point. When your value feels contingent on whether others include you, you are measuring with the wrong ruler.

Our culture admires visibility, and the Christian writing community is not immune to that pressure. We curate our social media presence, track our Amazon rankings, and notice who gets invited to things we do not. None of that is what God is looking at. He wants to know what drives the work when nobody watches, the metrics are flat, and your name never made the list.

The Question That Resets Everything

When the hurt settled, I returned to a question I have asked myself many times. What is my purpose? The answer has not changed. My purpose is to share Jesus to the best of my ability. That is the whole assignment.

And if that is true, one follow-up question answers itself. Do I really believe God is unaware of faithful, unglamorous, unrecognized work? David tended the sheep, not because someone was watching or because it would look good on his resume, but because that was the work in front of him, and he did it with his whole heart. God noticed. God always notices.

What the Heart Looks Like in Practice

I will keep connecting. Keep forwarding the promo to the author who needs it, keep making the introduction that costs me nothing and means everything to someone else. Not because the favor gets returned, but because it is who I am, because God wired me for it, and because my purpose has never been about the how it benefits me.

The return is not mine to manage. That belongs to the One who can do immeasurably more than I ask or imagine. My job is the sheep field. Show up there faithfully and trust God with the rest.

TWEETABLE

Heidi Gray McGill is a Selah Award finalist and five-time NEST Award-winning author of Christian historical and contemporary fiction. Her Discerning God’s Best series has earned over 3,500 five-star reviews on Amazon, where readers describe her work as ‘faith-filled fiction with flawed but lovable characters.’ She began her writing journey in March 2020, after retirement, proving that God’s calling has no expiration date. A sought-after encourager in the writing community, Heidi speaks and writes on the craft of storytelling, writing with biblical conviction, and reaching readers across generational and cultural divides. She is both independently and traditionally published, and she writes despite progressive vision loss, which has only sharpened her perspective on what it means to walk by faith and not by sight. Connect with Heidi and receive a free prequel to her bestselling series at HeidiGrayMcGill.com. Christian Fiction. Relatable Characters. Life-changing Stories. Fusing Faith and Fiction™ Listen to the book mentioned in this post on Heidi Gray McGill’s YouTube Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment