Tuesday, August 18, 2026

When Publishing Goes Wrong: 4 Ways Writers Can Recover and Move Forward

From Edie: Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes reminds us that when publishing goes wrong, setbacks don’t have to derail you. Discover four ways writers can recover, learn from challenges, and keep moving forward.


When Publishing Goes Wrong: 4 Ways Writers Can Recover and Move Forward
by Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes @KHutch0767

When the Fish Boiled: Lessons in Grace, Recovery, and the Unexpected Challenges of Publishing

Early in my teaching career, my classroom became the talk of the private school where I worked. I was a young teacher, full of enthusiasm, creativity, and a desire to bring learning to life. My class was a place where students explored, discovered, and experienced the wonder of the world around them.

I had a spider aquarium, a turtle, and a thriving fish aquarium. My students grew corn, potatoes, and tomatoes. We didn’t just talk about science; we lived it. My classroom became a hands-on learning environment where curiosity was encouraged, and students were excited to walk through the door each morning.

My director loved the room. He frequently brought visitors through my classroom to showcase what was happening there. I was honored, of course, but I was also proud. I had worked hard to create an environment where students could learn in meaningful ways.

One day, my director had an idea: he wanted every classroom in the school to have an aquarium modeled after mine. Naturally, I was thrilled. I was asked to help set them up, and I eagerly took on the project.

I carefully selected the tanks, accessories, and fish. I made sure each aquarium looked beautiful. I even included heaters because I wanted the fish to have the proper environment to thrive. As I finished setting up the classrooms, I stood back and admired my work. The tanks sparkled. The fish swam gracefully. The decorations looked perfect. I imagined the excitement that would greet teachers and students the next morning.

Then morning came. I walked into school expecting smiles and excitement. Instead, I was met with a putrid stench I’ll never forget. Fish. Not just fish, but boiled fish.

The children and teachers were horrified. The beautiful aquariums I had worked so hard to create had become disaster scenes. Fish floated at the top of the tanks, and the water was dangerously hot. The thermometers showed temperatures in the 100s. The heaters I had purchased had a major defect, and despite my careful planning and good intentions, something had gone terribly wrong. I was devastated.

That moment taught me a lesson I have carried with me ever since: no matter how much we care, how hard we work, or how carefully we prepare, we live in a broken world where things sometimes go wrong even when we have done our very best.

That lesson has served me well in publishing.

Publishing is filled with incredible moments: seeing a manuscript transformed into a book, watching an author hold their story for the first time, and celebrating when readers are impacted. But it also comes with unexpected challenges. A formatting issue, a printing problem, a technology glitch, a shipping error, or a misunderstanding can happen despite everyone's best efforts.

When those moments come, writers often feel the same way I did while standing beside those aquariums, embarrassed, disappointed, and wondering how something could have gone so wrong. But recovery is possible. 

Four Ways Writers Can Navigate Difficult Moments in Publishing 

1. Remember that problems do not define your purpose.
A setback does not erase the calling behind your writing. A mistake, delay, or disappointment is a moment in the journey—not the conclusion of the story.

2. Take responsibility for what you can control.
When the aquarium disaster happened, I didn’t blame the teachers or ignore the problem. I went back to the pet store, researched better equipment, replaced the defective parts, and worked toward a solution. In publishing, we do the same. We acknowledge issues, communicate clearly, and do everything possible to make things right.

3. Extend grace—to yourself and others.
Publishing involves many people: authors, editors, designers, printers, distributors, and retailers. Everyone is working toward the same goal, but everyone is also human. Grace creates room for solutions instead of blame.

4. Learn and grow from every challenge.
Those boiled fish were painful to see, but they taught me something valuable. Every difficult experience equips us for the future. Writers who learn from challenges become stronger, wiser, and more prepared for the next opportunity.

I eventually replaced the equipment and helped the classrooms have successful aquariums. The disaster became a lesson, not a permanent failure.

The same is true in publishing.

Sometimes our carefully planned “aquariums” will unexpectedly boil. But that does not mean we stop creating, stop dreaming, or stop sharing the stories God has placed on our hearts. We repair what we can, learn what we need to learn, and keep moving forward.

Because every good story, including the one we live, is shaped not only by the beautiful moments but also by how we recover when things go horribly wrong.

TWEETABLE

Dr. Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes is a review board member and contributor to Inkspirations (an online magazine for Christian writers), and her writing has been published in Guideposts. Her work in art/writing is distinguished by awards, including the New York Mayor’s Contribution to the Arts, Outstanding Resident Artist of Arizona, and the Foundations Awards at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writer’s Conference (2016, 2019, 2021). She is a member of Word Weavers International and serves as an online chapter president and mentor. She belongs to FWA (Florida Writers Association), ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers), CWoC (Crime Writers of Color),

AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association), and AASA (American Association of School Administrators). She serves on the nonprofit organization Submersion 14 board and the 540 Writer’s Community board and is an art instructor for the nonprofit organization Light for the Future. Katherine hosts the podcast Murder, Mystery & Mayhem Laced with Morality. She has authored a Christian Bible study for women and is currently working on the sequel to her first general market thriller novel. Her thriller A Fifth of the Story will debut in February 2024 through Endgame Press.

Katherine flourishes in developmental editing and coaching writers. She has a twenty-year career in education, leadership, and journalism. Katherine freelances as an educational consultant for charter schools, home school programs, and churches. In this role, she has written and edited curriculum, led program development, and helped manage growth facilitating and public relations. She also works as an editor and book coach through her consulting business. Katherine provides skill, accountability, and professionalism so clients can begin, develop, and finish their writing projects for publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment