From Edie: Miriah Taverna shares how Christian writers can identify their ideal reader, clarify their message, connect more deeply with their audience, and write with greater purpose.
by Miriah Taverna
In 2015, I knew I wanted to write a book “someday.”
In 2018, I wrote these words on an index card and hung it on my desk.
In 2023, I got serious about actually writing that book, and finally self-published The Unashamed Life in 2025.
A ten-year dream came to fruition at last. But not without much trial and error, reroutes, detours, stopping and starting, growing and learning.
When I hung that index card in 2018, all I knew was that I wanted to write a book through which other girls could encounter the love of God. I had no clue that I was taking the first step in identifying my “ideal reader” or “ideal audience.” In fact, I had never even heard those phrases before.
It wasn't until five years later that I would begin to dive deeper into the vast world of authorship and all things books, reading, writing, and publishing. Boy did I have a lot to learn! (And I still do, haha.)
Why “Everyone” is Not Your Audience
One common piece of advice I heard repeatedly as I began learning more about writing and publishing was the importance of not only knowing what and why you are writing but also knowing who you are writing for. Through conversations with other authors, countless hours of research, and watching tons of YouTube videos, I began to understand that writing a book is more than simply knowing what you want to say. It is about communicating your message in a way that reaches the specific people God has called you to serve.
Your book will not be for everyone, and that is perfectly okay. In fact, it’s actually a good thing. Because when you have a specific person in mind, you can speak more directly, write more intentionally, and create a book that truly meets someone right where they are.
Jesus Himself even spoke to specific people in specific moments, meeting them right where they were. Remember the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4? Jesus spoke directly to her story, her struggles, and her need for living water. He met one woman exactly where she was at, and because of her encounter with Him, many others also came to believe in Him. As writers, we have a similar opportunity to speak directly to our readers, their struggles, and their needs.
The better we understand our ideal reader, the more clarity we gain about our book’s purpose and overall message. This is such a freeing realization because we do not have to try to appease or appeal to everyone. We do not have to cram ourselves into a box, or spread our message thin.
If you try to write for everyone, you will often end up connecting deeply with no one. But when you write strategically and specifically, your words have the opportunity to truly resonate with your readers' hearts.
Knowing Your Ideal Reader Brings Clarity to Your Writing
On my index card, I said I wanted to write for “girls,” but that’s a broad statement. Gender is only the tip of the iceberg. I needed to ask questions like, What kind of girl? How old is she? What stage of life is she in? What's her religious or cultural background? What’s she struggling with? What's her pain point? What does she enjoy? What does she need? What problem does she have that I can help provide a solution to?
As I began answering those questions, my own ideal reader became much clearer. I realized I wasn't simply writing for “girls.” I was writing for women who love Jesus and enjoy reading. More specifically, I found myself thinking about one primary group of women and one secondary group of women. The first was women between the ages of 18 and 35 who desire to grow closer to God while overcoming struggles with shame. The second was women ages 45 and older, especially mothers and grandmothers with adult children who are not walking with God. My hope was to encourage them to remain faithful in prayer and continue trusting God to work in the lives of those they love.
The more clearly I could picture the women I was writing for, the easier it became to determine which stories to include, which lessons to emphasize, and how to communicate my message in a way that would truly make them feel seen. Knowing my ideal reader didn't limit my audience. It strengthened my writing with greater clarity and purpose.
Identifying Your Ideal Reader
If you're struggling to identify your ideal reader, ask yourself:
- Who do I feel burdened to encourage?
- Who has walked a similar road as me?
- What problems has God helped me overcome?
- What questions do people consistently ask me?
- Who do I hope finishes my book feeling seen, encouraged, or equipped?
Your ideal reader may not be someone you know personally, and they may not fit into a perfect mold. But as you think through and answer questions like these, you should begin to get a clearer picture of the person you are hoping to reach through your writing.
Before you open your manuscript or current work in progress again, grab a notebook or maybe even an index card, just like I did, and write this sentence:
“I am writing this book for _____________________________________________.”
Don't list everyone who could benefit from your book. Instead, picture one real person. What keeps them awake at night? What questions are they asking? What burdens are they carrying? What do you hope they'll know about God by the time they reach the end of your book?
If you can answer those questions, you've taken one of the most important steps toward writing a book that truly connects with your people.
TWEETABLE
MIRIAH TAVERNA was born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina. She is a wife, mama, and award-winning, bestselling author of The Unashamed Life: God Found Me in the Pit of Hell, But He Didn’t Leave Me There.
After spending years lost in drug addiction, she encountered Jesus Christ in a hospital bathroom stall, and in an instant, He changed everything.
Now, her passion is to share Jesus with the world through writing, speaking, Bible teaching, and simply loving people right where they are. Her heart is to help inspire and equip others to deeply seek God for themselves and to boldly share their own stories for His glory. She also creates faith-based resources for aspiring Christian authors.
When she’s not reading, writing, or wrangling her three wild boys, you can find her on a treasure hunt at the local thrift store with an iced vanilla latte in hand. Connect with her at WWW.MIRIAHTAVERNA.COM or on social media.


No comments:
Post a Comment