Monday, July 27, 2026

7 Common Myths About Traditional Publishing (and the Truth Behind Them)

From Edie: Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes shares the truth behind 7 common myths about traditional publishing and learn what publishers really look for when evaluating authors and book proposals.


7 Common Myths About Traditional Publishing (and the Truth Behind Them)
by Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes @KHutch0767

When I first ventured into publishing, I wasn’t chasing a book contract or dreaming of bestseller lists. I wanted to make a difference. Years ago, I independently published my first Bible study with one goal in mind: to raise enough money to help send a family to the mission field. By God’s grace, we reached that goal. I celebrated, thanked the Lord, and moved on to the next project. What I didn’t realize was that I had unintentionally created a publishing résumé.

Years later, when I began pursuing traditional publishing, editors weren’t nearly as interested in why I had written the book as they were in how many copies it had sold. Unfortunately, because the original mission had been accomplished, I had stopped paying attention to the sales numbers. Looking back, I wish I had tracked every sale. That experience taught me an important lesson: publishing is both ministry and business.

Here are seven misconceptions I often hear about traditional publishing.

1. Traditional publishers won’t consider self-published authors.

This simply isn’t true. Many traditionally published authors began by independently publishing their work. The key difference is that they demonstrated a proven audience. Strong sales records tell publishers that readers are already interested in your message.

2. Publishers are unkind, rigid, or impossible to work with.

Yes, publishers have standards. They invest thousands of dollars into editing, design, printing, distribution, and marketing. But in my experience, as both an author and a publisher, most publishing professionals genuinely want authors to succeed. Your success becomes their success.

3. Once you’re traditionally published, the publisher does all the work.

Nothing could be further from the truth. As the host of a podcast interviewing authors from the Big Five and many respected independent publishers, I’ve discovered a common theme: every successful author continues promoting their own books. They schedule podcast interviews, speak at conferences, build newsletters, engage on social media, and connect with readers long after launch day. Traditional publishing isn’t the finish line. It’s the starting gate.

4. A great manuscript is enough.

A wonderful book is essential, but it isn’t the only consideration. Publishers also evaluate your platform, marketing strategy, speaking opportunities, online presence, and ability to connect with readers. They aren’t just acquiring a manuscript, they’re investing in an author.

5. Marketing plans are just paperwork.

Many writers treat the marketing section of a proposal as an afterthought. It shouldn’t be. Publishers want to know what you plan to do to help sell your book. The more initiative you demonstrate, the more confidence they have in your partnership.

6. Publishers have unlimited resources.

The publishing industry faces the same economic pressures everyone else does. Rising costs for paper, printing, shipping, fuel, and freelance professionals affect every publishing house. Publishers must make wise financial decisions, which often means being selective about the projects they acquire and the marketing dollars they invest.

7. Getting a contract guarantees future books.

Publishing is built on relationships and results. Authors who meet deadlines, work collaboratively, actively market their books, and build loyal readerships often create opportunities for additional contracts. Publishers notice authors who consistently invest in their own success. Traditional publishing isn’t about perfection, it’s about partnership.

If you’re pursuing a traditional contract, don’t focus solely on writing the best manuscript possible. Build your audience. Learn the business. Track your sales. Develop your platform. Show publishers you’re ready to be a long-term partner. I certainly wish I had understood that after publishing my first Bible study. Thankfully, publishing is a journey of continual learning. Every lesson, even the ones we learn the hard way, prepares us for the opportunities God has waiting ahead.

TWEETABLE

Dr. Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes is a review board member and contributor to Inkspirations (an online magazine for Christian writers), and her writing has been published in Guideposts. Her work in art/writing is distinguished by awards, including the New York Mayor’s Contribution to the Arts, Outstanding Resident Artist of Arizona, and the Foundations Awards at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writer’s Conference (2016, 2019, 2021). She is a member of Word Weavers International and serves as an online chapter president and mentor. She belongs to FWA (Florida Writers Association), ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers), CWoC (Crime Writers of Color),

AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association), and AASA (American Association of School Administrators). She serves on the nonprofit organization Submersion 14 board and the 540 Writer’s Community board and is an art instructor for the nonprofit organization Light for the Future. Katherine hosts the podcast Murder, Mystery & Mayhem Laced with Morality. She has authored a Christian Bible study for women and is currently working on the sequel to her first general market thriller novel. Her thriller A Fifth of the Story will debut in February 2024 through Endgame Press.

Katherine flourishes in developmental editing and coaching writers. She has a twenty-year career in education, leadership, and journalism. Katherine freelances as an educational consultant for charter schools, home school programs, and churches. In this role, she has written and edited curriculum, led program development, and helped manage growth facilitating and public relations. She also works as an editor and book coach through her consulting business. Katherine provides skill, accountability, and professionalism so clients can begin, develop, and finish their writing projects for publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment