Tuesday, August 14, 2018

What You Can Do for Writing Conference Faculty


by Cindy Sproles @CindyDevoted

I’m tired. Really tired. But it’s a good kind of tired. Conference season is over for me. After eleven conferences (and 12k logged miles), some back-to-back, my suitcase is finally emptied and stored in its place. As I climbed the ladder to store the suitcase, I found myself a little sad that it’s done for the year.

When I left the last conference in Pennsylvania, I wrapped my arms tight around the director who is also a very dear friend, knowing I wouldn’t see her again for a couple of years. My voice cracked. 
            
“I hate goodbyes!” I choked back tears. “I will miss you sweet friend.” And a long and intentional hug happened.

No conference would be complete without faculty. Those folks who work for peanuts, (usually going in the hole financially), but could care less about the money. Their job is to be in service to Christ and His people they are called to serve.

What exactly goes into the work of a faculty member? More than you can imagine. Countless hours of preparation and study. It’s important to be up to snuff on current trends and changes in an industry that flips upside down in a heartbeat. Just making those Power Points alone takes forever. Reservations, flights, car rental and then the travel. Critiques, mentoring, manuscript acquisitions (all of which must be read). And then there is family. For every day faculty spends with conferees, their family are left behind. 

Conference days begin around 7 a.m. but faculty is generally up around 5, again preparing for the day. And the days end from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. depending on the number of conferees that need assistance. Still, I don’t know one faculty member who regrets one ounce of preparation or time spent with a conferee. It’s gratifying and it’s a blessing. One that, years later, continues to give.

Faculty never knows from year to year what conferences they will work, if any (yes, sometimes we’re rotated out), so we never take for granted the opportunity to serve when it is offered.

Now we come to the question of what can you do for faculty? It’s really fairly simple.

What You Can Do for Faculty
  • Be kind and respectful of the time they serve at conferences: Understand their work as an agent, author, or publisher, continues after you’ve said goodnight. Faculty members are still making deadlines, sorting through manuscripts, and preparing for the next day’s work.  
  • Don’t ask us to take your books home: It’s not that we don’t appreciate it, but with airline restrictions and many of us packing on a shoestring, we simply can’t get them home. If we accepted every book offered to us, we’d be shipping home 15-20 books. We do appreciate your offer and we celebrate your success. If you want us to have your book, take the time to mail it. 
  • Say thank you: Nothing means more than to receive a sweet thank you. Once we’re home and begin to sort through mail, those sweet thank you notes become prized possessions. We keep them. Cherish them. Reread them. They are affirmation that the work we do is appreciated and blessed.
  • Don’t take for granted the fact that faculties pray: Faculty members pray from the day they accept their invitations to conferences for divine appointments, safe travel, and open hearts and minds. Prayer begins for conferees first thing in the morning and doesn’t stop until bedtime.

The next time you attend a conference, look a little closer at the faculty and the time they willingly offer. And when you hear a raspy voice (from talking so much), offer them a cough drop, or a soft drink, or better yet—chocolate. Remember, faculty loves you. Truly loves you. They enjoy their time with you and when we leave to return home, you remain close in our hearts and minds. 

TWEETABLES
What you can do for #writing conference faculty - @CindyDevoted on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Writing conference faculty members give a lot to conferees, here's what you can do to give back - @CindyDevoted on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Cindy Sproles is an award-winning author and popular speaker. She is the cofounder of Christian Devotions ministries and managing editor of Straight Street Books and SonRise Devotionals, imprints of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. Cindy is the executive editor of www.christiandevotions.us and 
www.inspireafire.comShe teaches at writers conferences nationwide and directs The Asheville Christian Writers Conference - Writers Boot Camp. 

She is the author of two devotionals, He Said, She Said - Learning to Live a Life of Passion and New Sheets - Thirty Days to Refine You into the Woman You Can Be. Cindy's debut novel, Mercy's Rain, is available at major retailers. Visit Cindy at www.cindysproles.com and book her for your next conference or ladies retreat. Also connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.

17 comments:

  1. In a way, you're faculty here on this blog Ms. Cindy. And never taken for granted ma'am. I think this is why The Write Conversation is so successful. All its contributors have a teaching heart and put forth great effort with each post. God's blessings for all the time you, and others, put into helping us learn and improve. Oh, and I'm happy to send any book you're interested in to you. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...that's so sweet. And yes...Efie's blog is a faculty filled blog serving millions.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this reminder, Cindy. I'm incredibly thankful for you, Edie, and countless others who lead our conferences. I might add to pray for faculty. In a very real sense, you all are on the front lines of the battle. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cindy and Edie for sharing it. I hope I have demonstrated my thanks to all th faculty members i’v had contact with. I sure do appreciate them. Now I know I must carry cough drops in my kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...you arecakways a charm Warren. And always grateful.

      Delete
  4. Such truth written here. Thanks for the reminder to treat faculty with appreciative behaviors, kindness, and respect a person rather than a stepping stone. Graciousness makes one memorable. Great message.
    Write on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's important to know what hoes into teaching and preparing so we can serve effectively.

      Delete
  5. As a "new" faculty member to the circuit, I heartily agree. But I love encouraging people to write, and teach them the skills they need to get going. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. That's the entire reason we do what we do. To teach, and help grow new writers.

      Delete
  6. Faculty made conferences worth attending. Thank you all for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love to serve. I've lost count of the friends I've made. But love looking forward to reconnecting year after year.

      Delete
  7. I am attending a SCBWI 1-day workshop in early October. I doubt that the faculty prays for each registration (although there might be a believer or two in the crowd who will). OF COURSE I will thank them...but I hadn't thought of writing a note, I will consider it now.
    I'm ashamed to say, I've been concentrating on what "I" will get out of the day, and not on the many who work to put it on. Thanks for the eyeopener. Thinking of others first is always the Christian way. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where ever you attend, be the one to take kindness to the next level. You will be surprised what an impact you will make.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful reminder. We DO appreciate you and hunger for your words and wisdom. Thank you for sharing and leading us along in your footsteps. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy, I've been on the "faculty circuit," and I agree with everything you've said. Thanks for passing on this wisdom--and for your own service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there, You have done an incredible job.
    I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I'm sure they'll be benefited from this web site.

    ReplyDelete