Monday, August 6, 2018

How to Find Your Social Media Easy Button


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Social Media—so vital and yet so frustrating.

As of this moment, there are 200+ social networking sites out there. If you do a search for the top sites, you’ll get listings of anywhere from 7 to 20.

And none of those numbers is manageable when it comes to building a viable online presence.


There is just no way anyone can stay actively involved on even as few as seven networks. 

So how do we decide where to focus our attention to get the most bang for our buck?


It's important for writers to have a presence on both Facebook and Twitter. And to find a place to blog regularly. These three components will get you the highest percentage of exposure to your audience.

And I advocate ONLY spending 30 minutes a day, five days a week, on social media. In addition to that, I suggest you set aside one to two hours to write weekly blog posts.

But those networks aren't the only options out there.  Pinterest and Instagram, as well as LinkedIn are just a couple of places authors can find valuable connections to their readers.

Does that mean you need to divide the pie even further? 

I don’t believe it does. While I do think you need to have a presence on all the major social media platforms. None of us can do it all and do it well. I think it’s important to find your social easy button, and spend the bulk of your time there.

For me, that’s blogging and twitter. Those are the two networks where I get the most interaction. How do I know they’re my sweet spots? Two ways:

  • I look at the numbers (20,000 + on Twitter and 45,000+ unique hits per month on my blog)
  • I notice what I enjoy the most. 
That’s it. There’s no complicated formula. Just look at where success comes easiest.

Your easy button may be Pinterest or Facebook. It doesn’t matter which one it is. What matters is concentrating your effort there. 

This isn’t a pass to stop with the other basics. You really do need a presence on all three (blogging, Facebook and Twitter). But just do the bare minimum and have fun hanging out in the place you like best. 

Several things will happen when you do:
  • Your numbers of follower/friends will grow.
  • The number of meaningful conversations (engagement) will increase.
  • You’ll enjoy your time with social media more.
So I’m curious, what social media networks work best for you? 

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie


TWEETABLES


14 comments:

  1. Thank you, Edie for helping us understand social media and pointing us to the "easy" button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Thank you for always having such useful information on your site, Edie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're always such a great help, Edie! Thanks for this post on social media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you for this guidance. I needed to hear this message.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, may I ask how to locate a blog that is interested in blogs from a pastor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I would begin with blogs you read regularly. You can also do a Google search for "Blogs for Pastors" or "Blogs for Ministers". You will need to do your homework and become familiar with the blog and what they post. Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Right now, I love Facebook (personal and page), and have a presence on Instagram and Pinterest. Twitter is the one I can’t figure out, and am not drawn to, although I tweet and retweet other’s posts. I have a blog, but not with many followers or posts, but that is my goal, since I have an MG Biblical novel that debuts in Spring of 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jarm, it looks like you're on the right track! Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. I gravitate to Facebook. I have a following for my brief Bible devotions, handy household tips, occasional "clean" jokes, updates on what's happening in my life and family and church and travels, and sharing things that others write. I use Twitter to promote other articles, photos, sayings etc., and my own posts, book reviews, articles and blog posts. I find it satisfying. And once a week I peruse blogs, reviews, and articles that others post. I have a personal blog that gets a bi- monthly post (yes, I know that's not enough) and am one of 7 writers on a group blog. (I recently posted about using our 5-senses in our writing, using my recent trip to Italy to describe a few of those things.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, this all sounds like you're moving in there right direction, Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. I love Twitter and Facebook. Pinterest is fun, but I get distracted with pictures of dresses and food. I have a renewed appreciation for LinkedIn this year.

    ReplyDelete