Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sandal-ready Feet & Walking in Faith


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

How beautiful are the feet of the one who brings good news…Isaiah 52:7

Now that we’re deep into summer, I’ve finally gotten my feet sandal-worthy. And believe me, it’s not been an easy task. I tend to have very dry skin and the winter season, with the dry heat that comes with keeping the temperature comfortable indoors, wreaks havoc on my feet.

To repair the damage, I have to be very consistent in my routine and it takes time. It’s not something that just happens overnight. Each night I massage in heavy-duty lotion and then pull on a pair of cotton socks to sleep. After several weeks of immersing my feet, I’ve managed to smooth out the calluses and soften up the dry skin—just in time for a few short sandal-weeks before I go back to wearing socks and boots. 

Each year I promise myself it’ll be different. I’ll start my routine sooner and begin the summer with sandal-worthy feet. And each year I get busy, and summer sneaks up on me.

In the past, the same thing has happened when I’m faced with the opportunity to share my faith. I’ve meant to get prepared. I’ve had every intention of practicing and getting ready, but suddenly the situation has snuck up on me and caught me totally off-guard.

I’ve finally found the solution to this dilemma, and it’s not all that different from getting my feet ready for summer.

The ability to share my faith doesn’t come from memorizing a plan or even specific Bible verses. It comes from immersing myself in God and His Word. When I take time to soak in His truth and stay close to Him by reading my Bible, the words I need to share my relationship with Him flow freely. The time I’ve spent with Him have softened up the calluses on my heart and allowed the dryness of my spirit to overflow with the water of His Spirit. 

TWEETABLE
Sandal-ready Feet & Walking in Faith - @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)


3 comments:

  1. Lovely analogy.
    Enjoy you time in the sand, Edie.
    You are already enjoying your time with the Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on in Ms. Edie. The "living water" is fine! And no one judges our feet. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful no one judges our feet. Mine are so ugly. I've spent much of my life on them, and they are overly abused. But I enjoyed your post and maybe I'll work some lotion into my old tired feet, before preparing for my next adventure in sharing the gospel. Thank you, Edie. Take care and God bless

    ReplyDelete