Saturday, February 10, 2018

Beautiful Things and Joy


by Beth Vogt @BethVogt

You’ve heard the saying just as often as I have: Stop and smell the roses.

This week I stopped and looked at the roses sitting on my kitchen counter … over and over and over again.

In the midst of the busyness, not to mention in the midst of the dirty dishes cluttering my sink, and the need-to-look-at-it pile of mail, and my daughter’s book bag and laptop …

… there were the roses. A definite “thing of beauty” that brought me, and anyone else who saw them, moments of joy all week long.

Beautiful things. How often do we rush by them and miss the joy they offer us?

In Your Words: What “things of beauty” were in your life this week? Share the joy with us!

TWEETABLES
Finding things of beauty in everyday life - thoughts from @BethVogt (Click to Tweet)

Don't rush by the beautiful things in your life - wisdom from @BethVogt on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Beth K. Vogt is a nonfiction author and editor who said she'd never write fiction. She's the wife of an Air Force family physician (now in solo practice) who said she'd never marry a doctor—or anyone in the military. She's a mom of four who said she'd never have kids. Now Beth believes God's best often waits behind the doors marked "Never." A women's fiction novelist, Beth's first novel for Tyndale House Publishers, Things I Never Told You, releases May 2018.

Beth is a 2016 Christy Award winner, a 2016 ACFW Carol Award winner, and a 2015 RITA®finalist. Her 2014 novel,Somebody Like You, was one of Publishers Weekly's Best Books of 2014. A November Bride was part of the Year of Wedding series by Zondervan. Having authored nine contemporary romance novels or novellas, Beth believes there's more to happily-ever-after than the fairy tales tell us.

An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Novel Rocket and also enjoys speaking to writers' groups and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband, Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people, and their youngest daughter, Christa, who loves to play volleyball and enjoys writing her own stories. Connect with Beth atbethvogt.com.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful reminder for everyone to stop and enjoy the beauty and peace of God's many creations. Only our great and mighty God can create such delicate majesty of a rose. God's blessings Ms. Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Jim:
      And now I'm enjoying the beauty of snow -- another one of God's best creations. Hop you have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Seeing my daughter walk out of her dorm yesterday with a laundry bag stuffed with dirty clothes, a backpack filled with homework, and a huge smile was the "thing of beauty" in my week. So happy to have her home for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen:
      Enjoy your "thing of beauty" this weekend. My youngest daughter is scouting colleges. So I know sooner than I think, I'll be missing her backpack on the counter ...

      Delete
  3. I just started the long, miserable process of getting ready for a major move. I have seen beautiful sunsets this week. I enjoyed looking at my neighbor's beautiful yard. They have done some wonderful things to make their yard stand out. But the most beauty I believe I witnessed this week was watching my two kittens growing into sleek beautiful cats. I love watching them play with each other. It makes me laugh when they clash in midair. They are such a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole: I haven't moved in a while, but I remember my years as a military wife/family and yes, moving is hard. Praying for you to continue to see beauty as you prepare for your move. My son just got two kitties and I'm enjoying his Instagram posts -- they are so adorable even in "still life."

      Delete
  4. These may be unusual to you. My husbands bruised and swollen eyes from lid surgery - beautiful to me because he has loved me for 54 years without complaint! My beloved "Story" an almost 17 year old cat who is so think when she stretches out on her side she's only 1.5 inches thick, and yet her eyes are intelligent, full of adoration for me, and despite her appearance, she is lively and quick. Both of these "sights" are Things of Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie: What you shared is not unusual at all. A love story of 54 years? That is one of the most beautiful things of all.

      Delete