Friday, May 5, 2017

Where to Find Free Editing for Your Manuscript

by Bruce Brady @BDBrady007

It’s writing conference time across the country. We hear many things at these gathers.

Some true.

Some not so true.

But one of the truths we always hear is that we need to edit our manuscripts before submitting them to agents and publishers.

 Traditional publishers have editors whose job is to help authors polish their work, making it the best it can be to ensure sales success. In this scenario, writers need to do the best self-editing they can before presenting it to these industry professionals.

Self-publishers—indie publishers—need to be just as careful, if not more so, because the success of their work lies solely on them. More experienced writers encourage them to hire professionals for things like book covers, formatting, and editing. And editing can be expensive. Especially, if we want top-notch editing.

If you have deep pockets, then hire the best editors you can. But, if you are like me, and many other writers, you have little to no budget for contracting professional services.

So, what do we do?

Join or start a critique group.

Sometimes that’s challenging. We want to make sure the group is composed of like-minded writers who have a genuine desire to help other writers as much as they want help. We want to be sure they check their egos at the door, and consider the needs of all the members to be as important, or more so, than their own. We want at least some of the members to be as or more experienced than us. And, we want members who are committed to the group, even when they have nothing to be critiqued.

The good news is these groups can be found or formed. There are national and local critique group organizations with mission statements and rules that each member agrees to before joining. We need only study the membership criteria to determine if these organizations are a good fit.

These groups offer a range of options from face-to-face meetings at local venues, email groups, online document sharing groups, and video conferencing groups. I prefer the latter as it offers the intimacy of face-to-face and the convenience of meeting without leaving home. I’m a little biased because I’m the Online Chapter Mentor for Word Weavers International.

The best of these groups meet regularly, don’t read or critique the submissions until meeting time, and the manuscripts are read by someone other than the writer. This allows the authors to hear their words through the mind and voice of others. And, because it’s being read for the first time by people who don’t know what the writers were thinking, we learn whether our words are having the desired effect.

An additional benefit—and my personal favorite—critique groups become families. We build close relationships with the other members as we learn to trust their criticisms. There’s no better feeling than submitting a manuscript, knowing those who read and critique it do so to help us become the best writers we can be. And, these editors provide their services absolutely free.

TWEETABLES


Bruce Brady is an author, writer and playwright. His work has appeared in Focus on the Family’s Thriving Family, www.ChristianDevotions.us, and on stage. Currently, Bruce is working on a Young Adult Novel about a boy who must deal with the death of his dad, being bullied, and helping his mom through her grief. His first five pages took third place in the ACFW South Carolina Chapter’s “First Five Pages” contest.When he’s not writing, Bruce spends time learning from and helping other writers. He serves as Mentor of Word Weavers International’s Online Chapter, and as a member of Cross ‘N’ Pens, The Writer’s Plot, ACFW’s National and South Carolina Chapters.

16 comments:

  1. Bruce, thank you for the great information. I want to join a word Weaver group. I'll go online and see if there's one in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherrilynn. If there isn't one, we'd love to have you in our Online Chapter.

      Delete
    2. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I went to the Word Weavers website and was trying to figure out how to connect to an online group. Does it matter which group if it's online?

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Bruce. When we share our heart-work with others we're putting a certain amount of trust in that group which helps to build strong relationships. I'm thankful for my critique groups and would've never been able to launch my first book without them. There is, however, one person who is incredibly missed in our group...you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. I'm also thankful for Cross n' Pens. And I miss you all. Keep on writing.

      Delete
  3. Good job, Bruce! I have no doubt our ACFW-SC Chapter's regular critiquing of my pages and our free craft classes at each meeting these past four years of our existence, have helped me obtain contracts for my first and second novels being published this spring. For anyone interested, our South Carolina Chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers meets in Anderson, SC, the fourth Saturdays from 2 - 5 PM of each month (with no meetings in July or December). If anyone would like to be placed on our email list for updates, just contact me through my web site at http://www.elvamartin.com. Also check out our chapter blog at http://www.scwritersacfw.com. --If anyone is interested in my inspirational romance novels check out my blog at http://carolinaromancewithelvamartin.blopspot.com (:
    Blessings,
    Elva Cobb Martin
    President, ACFW-SC Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and encouragement, Bruce. I've hesitated about critique groups because I thought they met in person. And I've only heard the best compliments about Eva and Word Weavers in general. I could definitely use an online chapter mentor. :-) Thanks for helping me learn something new today and giving us something to consider. Blessings and hope you are doing well on your cancer journey. Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, you can attend an online meeting as a visitor to see if it's something for you.

      Delete
  5. I did not have a great experience with a Word Weavers Children's ms critique group. The leader was not a good writer and therefore not much help was being given to the very beginner writers in the group. It became frustrating. I am somewhere moving toward intermediate level and wasn't getting anything from the group. I wish I could find one that fit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Grace. If I can be of help, let me know.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this with us! I've never joined a critique group because I'm a little paranoid about someone online stealing my work after reading it - but at some point I might ;).

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of that ever happening in Word Weavers' 20-year history. We're careful about who we accept as members. And we're a non-profit organization. Of course, people being people, there are no guarantees But, rarely do we see an entire manuscript. If you have questions, I'd be happy to talk with you. You can reach me through word-weavers.com

      Delete
  7. Hi Edie! As the incoming Nashville Chapter President for Word Weavers, this was excellent. Our kick-off meeting is the 30th of this month and I pray ours will be just what you mentioned above. Thank you for your timely encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Callie, I'm sure it's going to be wonderful! Let me know if there's any way I can support you, Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. I agree, Bruce. I've been in several critique groups and they have been invaluable.

    ReplyDelete