Sunday, September 18, 2016

Obedience Here and Now

He who is faithful in very little is faithful also in much... Luke 16:10

When I was young all I wanted to be was a writer. As a matter of fact, I actually wrote my first novel in eighth grade…long hand, with a purple ink pen. But through the years, my dream of writing drifted farther and farther from the realm of reasonable possibilities, until I finally I gave up.


But as a young mother of three kids, God revived that call. At first I was scared, but then I got excited. Oh the plans I made—I’d write Bible studies and spend my time traveling, speaking and working for God.

I finished my first Bible study and the printer ink was barely dry before I had the manuscript in an envelope and on the way to publisher. I could see my future so clearly and I was on fire, with plans to do great things in His kingdom. All He had to do was open this one door.



Not only did He not open that door, it seemed every other door had slammed shut and locked. It quickly became obvious that going and doing weren’t part of the call He’d placed on my life. Instead, the doors at home began to swing wide, as He invited me to share my story with those closest to me.

As I swallowed my pride and became obedient to act where He’d placed me, the fruit began to grow. Years later, going and doing has become part of my call, but first I’d had to learn obedience and the difference between His will and mine.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I've had many of those moments. I think of the verse, Obedience is better than sacrifice(1 Samuel 15:22) Sacrifice is down right hard, where does that leave obedience? I praise our Father for giving us the strength, wisdom and desire to obey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts to remember. I also have an 'idea' about where God is sending me. Keeping in-step with the Spirit is a consistent journey! Sometimes I'm good at it, sometimes I need a reminder! I love that He rekindled that passion in you years later! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Edie. We do need to be open to the path God has for us, not what we think our path should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Edie. We do need to be open to the path God has for us, not what we think our path should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder about Who is in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen. The "difference between His will and mine" is a struggle we all must face before we can expect Him to help us. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete