Monday, January 12, 2015

7 Ways Social Media is Like Driving a Car

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Traveling the Internet super highway is a lot like
real-life driving, especially when it come to Social Media.
Sometimes, when I’m traveling the Internet super highway, I’m struck by the similarity of real-life driving—especially when it comes to social media.

No, I’m not advocating people using social media need to take some qualifying test, but at times I do wish some folks would think before they start their social networking engines.

7 Ways Social Media is Like Driving a Car
1. It only makes sense to get familiar with the vehicle before you take off. Social media is a vehicle that can take you amazing places. But there is a learning curve. Start slow and learn how to operate it before you merge onto the super highway.

2. Your vehicle will perform better with regular maintenance. Just like a car, social media accounts need regular upkeep. Make sure your bio and picture are current, and your information is relevant.

It's almost impossible to get somewhere when you don't
know where you're going.
3. It’s almost impossible to get somewhere when you don’t know where you’re going. When I go on a trip, even if it’s just errands around town, I take time to get a route set in my mind. And if I’m going somewhere I’ve never been before, I consult a map. We need to embark on our social media journey the same way. Have in mind a goal and a destination to make the traveling easier.

4. The journey is more fun with friends. It’s nice to have people along to share the driving responsibilities, in my opinion this translates into a lot of things:
  • Have a backup to cover your posting and hosting duties if you’re out of town or forced offline. (I have Mary Denman who covers for me if I can’t take care of my blog, and I do the same for her.)
  • Be part of a tribe who will share updates and help band together to reach more people.
  • Enlist people to guest post on your blog and look for places you can guest.

Expect occasional detours.
5. Expect occasional detours. Not every trip goes perfectly when we travel by car and to expect differently when we travel on the Internet isn’t reasonable. Just because we hit a detour doesn’t mean we won’t make it to our destination.

6. Don’t forget to enjoy the scenery. It’s a good thing to have a destination in mind, but that doesn’t mean we should be so single-minded that we don’t enjoy the journey.

7. Watch out for road rage. It’s easy to feel insulated when we’re online, but that’s an illusion. Take time to think before you post, no matter what you come up against. My goal is to never participate in or incite road rage on the Internet super highway.

These are my tips for traveling the Internet super highway, I’d love to know yours. Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES

7 Ways #SocialMedia is Like Driving a Car – via Social Media Mentor @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

13 comments:

  1. Great post, Edie. Love #7. Social media is no place to air dirty laundry or get involved in controversies. Love the analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to pay more attention to "maintenance"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, that's my weak spot too. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. A shortcut could take you longer than you expect, maybe even get you lost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, that's a great addition! I'm gonna add that to my notes (with a shout out to you!) Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Marjory, thanks os much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Number 2, the maintenance tip, is the one that I need help remembering. The beginning of the year is a good time to check over accounts and consider updates. Thanks for the advice, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I try to do "maintenance" twice a year - at the beginning and during the summer. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Road rage is a wonderful analogy for what happens on social media sometimes! Thanks for yet another insightful post, Edie. Blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiersti, it is scary how disconnected some people can be! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Social media as a blogger is my Everest. I am personally prolific but need to generate more connections and contact through the voice of my blog. Definitely one of my big goals for 2015. Love the idea of having a road map! PS-military wife here:).

    ReplyDelete