Monday, November 24, 2014

Social Media Monday—Successful Social Media in 30 Minutes a Day

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

You can look at this digital age we live in as a blessing or a curse—and there are merits to each viewpoint. Since I’m a glass half full type girl, I happen to take the positive approach. I like the connectedness of this time and place. I like connecting in person and online—especially through Facebook and Twitter.

A word of warning here, it’s possible to let these tools (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.) eat into your writing time. For myself, the way I combat that temptation is to schedule my networking time.

Many of you have asked how I schedule my day so now is as good a time as any to share it with you. Now, please know that I am NOT an organized person, but this loose arrangement of my day helps me to stay sane in the insane world of freelance writing.

My Daily Schedule 
  • 8 – 9: I answer email (I have two accounts), and I use Hootsuite to schedule my main social media for the entire day. I use this hour to get connected.
  • 9 – 11:30: I use this time as my creative writing time, because it’s the time when I’m most creative.
  • 11:30 – 12: I answer any emails and phone calls that have come in and again check FB, Twitter and my blog.
  • 12-1: lunch.
  • 1-3 I: work on things that have a deadline and once a week write all my blog posts during this time.
  • 3:30 – 4: I again check email, phone messages, FB, Twitter and my blog. Then, before I go to bed I again check email, FB, Twitter and my blog.
  • Also, about once an hour I get up and walk around to relieve my back and when I sit back down, I check Hootsuite. That way, if anyone has mentioned me or retweeted something I can reply. It’s important to keep the conversation going throughout the day and this is how I do it. BUT, I only allow myself 5-10 minutes each hour or two.

Some days the times vary, especially if I have a big deadline, but this is my basic schedule. 

Final Tip to Stay on Track: I try not to be subject to emails or even the telephone. Funny thing, I discovered that people are fine about having to leave messages, IF they know I’ll actually call them back. This allows me to accomplish what I need most days and still stay sane.

I’d love to know how you schedule your social media time. Share your tips, and your struggles in the comments section below. Remember, we’re all better together!

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings

Edie

TWEETABLES
Don't let #SocialMedia take over your #writing life - learn to do it in 30 minutes a day - via @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Successful Social Media in 30 Minutes a Day? #SocialMedia Mentor @EdieMelson shares how it's done (Click to Tweet)


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've found a schedule that works for you. What about those of us who have full-time jobs outside the home? I'm also a caregiver for my Mom. Could you do a post on time management for those in similar situations? Thanks, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I can and I will. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I have the same problem as Susan. I have a job, a volunteer position, and a lot of family responsibilities. I only get one, maybe two hours a day to work on writing related stuff, so that makes it really tight. I have a hard time figuring out a good balance of marketing, social media, blog posts, research, editing, and getting new words into my WIP.

    ReplyDelete