Thursday, May 22, 2014

Writers & Fear—The Subject Just Keeps Coming Up!

by Beth Farley

It seems so ironic to me that when I sit down, ponder with God on the subject of writing, He takes me to places I really don’t want to go. 

Today I was putting a strong devotion together for Edie Melson’s blog, when God poked at my spirit and spoke to me about a different subject. I wanted to write about the strong attributes in writing, the faith and the gusto we all acquire in order to be good writers. I was repeating so much of the good stuff that Edie has shared over and over again. Today though, God instructed me to write about fear of the unknown. But God, (in my whiney voice) I don’t want to write about fear….Not again, please!!!


leap - used under Creative Commons license from
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhf/3448454258/
Fear
Writers don’t know what to do with fear sometimes. I’ve taken a huge leap of faith being obedient to the call of writing. I am jobless with little money; and most often my health is not the greatest. However, My God is stronger than any of that.

I believe our fear is all about cognitive restructuring. It involves challenging beliefs and replacing them with more Biblical thoughts. God knows when we are struggling in thought and He takes the emotion of fear and turns it into obedience and then our obedience into rewards. I’ve seen Him do this over and over again in my life. Many of my blessings have first come from the trials.

Writing
It is no ordinary task. Not everyone can sit down and put words onto paper, onto screen effortlessly. Writers are certainly called to do the writing from something that is birthed within them. Writers have the ability to have access to God’s powerful tools to keep their heads held high during rejections, during dry times, during empty checking-accounts seasons. Writers are directors of their own movies and can change the script at any time. For me, I was quite content with submitting articles and maintaining a low profile forum, but just as I’ve become comfortable with article submissions He’s stirring my spirit to do more.

Next adventure
Okay Lord, I’ll take this writing thing wherever You desire for me to take it. Book??? No! How? Me?  About a million other questions floated across my mind. This is something God and I chatted about years ago; like at least fifteen years ago. I didn’t have time then. I was home-schooling my children and trying to maintain a farm. I have tried over and over again to wave-off this notion of writing a book but it’s been like swatting off a pesky fly; it just keeps coming back.  We all know that if God is calling us to write something he will not let us go until we do it. He said the time is NOW!!!

Doubt
Through the years that I’ve wrestled with my fear of writing, I still find myself falling into the trap of doubt.  Last week, I sank to my kitchen floor sobbing. In between tearful heaves I asked Him for direction and peace. “Jesus, help, I need Your peace,” I cried out.
This week I’ve not only picked up the old vision with God, but He even gave me a title. How long will this endeavor take? I don’t know!  But I have full confidence that since He has called me to write; He will be faithful to complete it. He who began a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it in you. (Philippians 1:6)

All Writers
God will give you the words, put people in your path, (thanks Edie) and many more loyal writers who have been holding my hand along the way. Join writers groups; critique groups or ask friends to look over what you’ve written. Edie’s web site is chock full of great information for beginner to advanced writers.

What other places have you visited that have helped you stretch your wings and follow God? Be sure to leave your answers in the comments section below.

Blessings,
Beth Farley

TWEETABLES


Beth Ann Farley lives in Kansas City, MO with her husband and six grown children and 13 grandchildren. She has written for www.bookfun.org., Toot n’ Town magazine. She has recently been published with Landline magazine, Teachers in Focus, Horse & Rider, Mature Years, Indian Life and Wesleyan Publishing.  Her poetry has been featured in Sweet Freedom written by Jennifer Slattery. She has been a guest blogger on thewriteconversation@blogspot.com by Edie Melson and Poppy Smith’s Inspiring Women to Thrive blog. Beth is a co-host on Living by Grace, a faith-based Facebook community. She often writes for the Senior Smart Network; a network devoted to senior citizens.

Beth enjoys spending time with family and friends. She loves to tootle around the country side with her husband and their motorcycle. She loves reading, writing in her journal walking her little peek-a-poo named Peek-a-chew and engaging in Women’s’ Bible Studies.

Visit her online at: http://firsthalfday1.wordpress.com.





9 comments:

  1. What good words sent out to hit the perfect mark. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Beth for articulating my struggle. I don't feel so alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that fear has many voices. I kept hearing little voices that said, you've got other work to do, writing's not important. Well, some of that work never goes away, and it never did pay real well. :) I feel that God keeps showing me ways to grow as a writer. Through reading Edie's posts, and taking a '30 day Chalene Johnson challenge', I have just this last week made so much progress. I'm blessed to have come on to this spot. Thank you, Edie, and thank you Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am blessed to be a guest on Edie's blog. I too have learned from her posts and am taking an on line class in publication. It is a climb for sure but the journey can be such a blessing when you get to meet new people who are going through the same struggles. Many blessings along the way.
      Beth

      Delete
  4. Thank you Ellen. It is a struggle at times but God will not ask us to do things that He has not prepared us to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word! I'm dealing with the exact same challenge. I know God has called me to write and I desire to be obedient, but life and health keep getting in my way. It seems I only have peace when I'm working toward authorship goals. I am blessed to have a great support structure through friends, family, my local writers' guild, and I have recently discovered Scribophile.com so I can get almost instant feedback. Best wishes as you follow God's inspiration to write what He has given you.

    ReplyDelete